• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oiling system upgrades

Nice work, I liked it. Also answered two questions I've been wondering about. My oil pressure on my 98XJ will drop to just over 10psi at hot idle so that appears within normal range. And, I've been considering an oil cooler installed under a hood vent for a planned wheeling trip to Moab.
Thanks for the write up! dn

I like the rear baffle idea. I may have to do that since I need to drop my pan to fix a leaking oil pan gasket. Notice any mileage or power improvements with the added baffle? I already have a HV pump. I agree that its a good idea and should help promote long engine life :)

AARON

MrShoeBoy said:
I like the rear baffle idea. I may have to do that since I need to drop my pan to fix a leaking oil pan gasket. Notice any mileage or power improvements with the added baffle?

No obvious increase in power but then again, even if you gain 1-2hp you're not going to notice it. It's only a couple of days since I installed the modified pan so it's too early to say if there's a gas mileage improvement. I'm not expecting any.

after i installed mine i ran at 50 idle to 70-80 at high rpm and that is with a engine with over 200000 miles on it. 10 psi is not that much a good stock pump does better than that.

3 years ago, I picked up a high volume Melling from Autozone. I have no idea why, but I managed to get mine in without having to massage the oil pan one little bit.

Good info and thanks for posting.

However, I think the subject is a little more complex than indicated, heat transfer-wise.

* and it also helps to reduce oil temperatures by flowing oil at a faster rate over friction-bearing surfaces.

Heat transfer is a symbiotic relationship between the two entities that gets very complex. Flowing the cooler fluid faster May Not allow sufficient transfer between the two mediums. There must be sufficient time for the cooler fluid to increase temp, which of course reduces the hotter entity temp. This is similar to the issue of high flow water pumps and most definately the issue with the radiator/cooler efficiency. If the hot fluid doesnt remain in the radiator/cooler long enough it wont reduce the heat as much. If it flows through the motor too fast it May Not transfer as much heat. I have a vehicle that makes this quite obvious by rising temp at idle and again at speed where the cooling capacity of the radiator is inadaquite to keep the temps down. There will be a "sweet-spot" where the entire system is most efficient.

Without complex instrumentation I dont think we can be conclusive on the benefits, except gut feeling. Baffling, or for that matter, semi-dry sump modifications should be an area for further exploration.

Thanks again

Back