• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to tell the different axles?

old88xj

NAXJA Forum User
there was a post on here awhile back that had pics of the different kinds of axles. I was at the bone yard and they had 5 xj's in there and i couldn't tell what axles were what the years were from 85 to early 90's. I know some of ya'll are looking for axles and other parts. And i am looking for a better axle but don't know how to tell the diff. :dunno:

There are basically 3 axles in the rear of xj's. The 35 being the most common in the early xj's with a short stint of the D44 in 87 and rumored in 88-90 xj's The 35 has a 35 stamped in the case on the rear. I believe the top left spar. The 8.25 has a noticable flat bottom. Also the 35 and the 44 will have Dana on it some where and the 44 has a stop sighn shape. HTH.

Yea that is a good one but it leaves off the lovely 8.25!

Process of elimination -- if it's a stock axle and it isn't a Dana 35 or a Dana 44, it must be an 8.25. The 8.35 diff cover is shaped similar to the Dana 35, but it has a raised outer flange. The diff housing of the 8.25 has a very obvious flat bar about 6" long beneath the diff cover. You can spot the 8.25s when they're stopped ahead of you in traffic, that's how obvious it is.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Granted this next one is a aluminum 44 from a ZJ but the cover and shape are like the XJ 44.

standard.jpg

Back