• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine is slugish

redneckjeeper94

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 94 cherokee with a 6 inch lift on 33 inch tires my cherokee used to be very peppy even with the lift and tires and i took it in for a tune up about a month ago and after driving it for a while the motor seems really slugish like it lost a lot of power. I suspected that they used cheap plugs and wires so i got bosch platinum stuff and cleaned my k&n and no difference.. wut could be other things that might make my engine slugish after a tune up?

I'd look for leaky vacuum lines first. Monkeys are known to abuse vacuum circuits while grubbing under the hood.

If the distributor cap and rotor wasn't changed, pop the cap off and check the inside for carbon tracks, or burnt terminals.

The Catalitic Converter could be plugged up. I changed mine and it gave me more power than when I swapped in a new engine. It also sounded alot deeper and alot louder. How many miles are on your Jeep?

it has 178 right now i dont have any exhaust from the cat back but it was just weird i mean it didnt change until the day i took it in for a tune up i know its someting that they did and they actually repaired a vacume line that went to the throttle body but i dont see how that made a differance

It really sounds like you have some collateral damage from a tune-up monkey.
I'd find the vacuum line they replaced and squeeze it. If it squashes easily, the line may be collapsing with engine vaccum and partially blocking. They might have used cheap vacuum line, or flimsy washer hose.

(To plug a cat takes time, and a badly tuned engine running too rich or lean. Doing a tuneup wouldn't damage a cat, only neglecting to do a tune up would)

Do you have hard starting or knocking under acceleration?

nope it just feels like something is holding the engine back like its struggling not peppy like it used to be i was thinking that if they messed with the timing id get them to look at it but i dont know if that would be it

What you describe could very well be timing,
If they did'nt fully retorque the hold-down bolt, the distributor base could have rotated slightly and retarded the spark timing.

Try grabbing the cap and twisting the distributor, it should not rotate if the bolt was torqued properly.

If the distibutor twists or not, take it back and make them retime it!

I heard a bad TPS will make it sluggish

Guys,,,, timing is not adjustable on these things... The crank position sensor does that with a sensor in the dist setting only the injector timing,,, and the last one I looked at had a notch that doesn't let you move it.... I would look towards fuel pressure amoung vac leaks and such.... Basically do several checks before diving in and replacing parts....

Back