• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swapping in full-width's...

XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought some 77' F250 Dana44/60 axles combo, their geared at 5.13's and full Detroit's in both...They were completley rebuilt a year ago with new seals, brakes, U-Joints, and all the goodies. The only thing they need is to have brackets welded on to be put under my XJ. Besides those brackets being the obvious what else will I need to look Into for these to work in my XJ?

As far as steering, brakes, the yokes for the Driveshafts?

right now my rear TW's shafts is on my 8.25 axle which has a 1-1/4 U-Joint (I believe also known as 1310 U-Joint) will this mount up to the 60 as well? If not, should I change the pinion yoke on the axle or the Joint on the DS?

Im really curious as to what steering would be best for this combo....any Input there?

and will the ebrake cables still hook-up the same?

you should know better to even start another how do i thread for fullsize axles with some 440 posts.this has been covered how many times a week here.use the frigin search button.if you are to lazy to read i'm to lazy to help.

start reading

oh and if that 44 is a low pinion you wasted your money

Its a HP, and Im not to lazy to search, I'v actually searched for the past 6 months before taking on the build, your right most of my questions could be answered in searching, but I was hoping to compile some Information in one post on things such as steering options, the one real question I could never find was on the pinion sizes for the 60 and 44 and If they will match my stock DS's....

on a side note, I'v been lurking for about 2 years now and the most prominent reason for not Joining is because of the stuck up attitude some people possess when others ask questions that could simply be answered, especially since your someone with full-width's Im sure you know what your talking about. Its not like I asked for pictures or some shyt, I thought my question was somewhat technical that only a minimal percentage on the board would be able to answer... And in order for others such as myself to answer the questions in the future you could skip the dickhead tude and Just pass on the knowledge so I know for next time...You dont see teachers in highschool geting all snoty and pissed off telling kids to search through their book to find the answer to an algerbraic equation, they help them figure It out...If your not here to help others why even answer the post in the first place....

there are over 10 pages of posts on fullwidth there are several that have exactly what you are looking for just search you will find it.

you have both axles sitting in front of you but you don't have the mind to just measure the yoke to find out they are the same joint .you can install a 1310 yoke if it doesn't have one yet.

steering has been covered way to many times.you have many options .you can do an inverted "T" with either hiem joints or TREs.you can do high steer of all types and flavors.

try going back and looking at some of previous posts .its kind of easy to see what most have done to get steering.also you will have to come up with brackets and move your trackbar mount above the axle to match the draglink angle.

and yes people do get attitudes when questions that have been covered over and over again keep getting asked

Last edited:
XJ99 said:
Just bought some 77' F250 Dana44/60 axles combo, their geared at 5.13's and full Detroit's in both...They were completley rebuilt a year ago with new seals, brakes, U-Joints, and all the goodies. The only thing they need is to have brackets welded on to be put under my XJ. Besides those brackets being the obvious what else will I need to look Into for these to work in my XJ?

As far as steering, brakes, the yokes for the Driveshafts?

right now my rear TW's shafts is on my 8.25 axle which has a 1-1/4 U-Joint (I believe also known as 1310 U-Joint) will this mount up to the 60 as well? If not, should I change the pinion yoke on the axle or the Joint on the DS?

Im really curious as to what steering would be best for this combo....any Input there?

and will the ebrake cables still hook-up the same?

Did the front 44 not come with a tie rod and steering setup??? If not I'm sure you can buy them aftermarket just like for a stock jeep, just go to a ford site or contact one of the vendors on here that does custom set ups... I am sure TNT or JCR would both do one if you told them what you were looking for.

EDIT: both of you join with your 800 posts

It only comes with a tie rod from what I saw, no drag link....and their in transit thats why I havent measured the pinion yokes

the only thing he would be able to use in stock form is the tierod and its not worth using.its better to use a chevy tierod with two removeable TREs one on both ends.

were did you buy them from that they are in transit.

XJ99 said:
on a side note, I'v been lurking for about 2 years now and the most prominent reason for not Joining is because of the stuck up attitude some people possess

Thank you for sponging. Your non-contribution is appreciated.

CRASH said:
Thank you for sponging. Your non-contribution is appreciated.

hahaaha, i would say newb...but the fact that XJ99 has over 400 posts shows that he knows how to search. try pming some people that have done what you plan on doing. you'll get an answer for sure. that way you won't annoy others with reposts.

Back