• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

plugs and wires

Check out Summit Racing. They got a tune-up set for under $50 bucks. Comes with Accel 8mm extreme wires, U-Groove plugs, cap and rotor. Sure gave my '91 with 300k some pep. I have seen this same setup with the fuel filter as well around this price on E-BAY so good luck.

stock champions (412)

Champion Truck plugs the part number should be 4412.

I believe the only difference is the resistor.

I had mopar performance wires but no one seems to carry them anymore so got $22 Bosch wires (kevlar something or other)

with duralast cap and rotor (rotor is brass, cap is Aluminum)

total= $57 at autozone.

Accel 8mm wires, Champion 4412 truck plugs

I would prefer to have the Accel cap & rotor, which are brass, but I don't have them, plan to get them.

Autolite platnium single
Accel 800+ 8.8 mm wires
stock cap and rotor (coming next) definately brass.

99' XJ 112,000, what a difference replacing the plugs and wires made, the other ones were stock at 110,000 w/a gap .4 over.

Bosch Platinum plugs, Accel 8.8 wires, Mopar OEM cap and rotor. Replaced all at 120K miles. It made the XJ like new again. Be sure to clean the throttle body and put a bottle of Chevron Techron injector cleaner in a tank of gas. Tuning up the fuel system also helps increase the power and performance a lot. As does making sure the air filter is clean. And if you've never changed the gas filter, do that, too.

Anyone have the part number for the rotor and cap from the dealer for a 94xj ? My dealer gave me the parts w/o really looking anything up and i want to make sure he is right ?

I can give you the numbers if you want to look them up.

pete

jeepsrock said:
Anyone have the part number for the rotor and cap from the dealer for a 94xj ? My dealer gave me the parts w/o really looking anything up and i want to make sure he is right ?

I can give you the numbers if you want to look them up.

pete
I don't think there is more than one option for the 91-99 XJ's.

how difficult is a distributor cap, rotor, and spark plug wire change?

what about the fuel filter? how difficult is it to swap out? - do you have to depressurize the fuel system first - i have a '96 with 120k...my fuel filter looks like crap..

fuel filter is a piece of cake, but I would get some new rubber line at parts store since the old line will be brittle and most likely fused to the old filter. Depressurize at the valve on the rail and use a shop towel to soak up the fuel. I would suggest doing this with the engine cold as well to be safer.

edmaude said:
fuel filter is a piece of cake, but I would get some new rubber line at parts store since the old line will be brittle and most likely fused to the old filter. Depressurize at the valve on the rail and use a shop towel to soak up the fuel. I would suggest doing this with the engine cold as well to be safer.

Is there lots of fuel in the lines going to the filter? can you crimp off the old lines before removing the old filter to keep gas from spilling everywhere?

seems like a tough job on your back.

anony91xj said:
I don't think there is more than one option for the 91-99 XJ's.

Yes, there is. The cap might be the same, but there's a different set of guts inside the distributor including the rotor. There's at least 2 switch between 93 and 94. My 94 originally had a 93 distributor.

there is a good amount of fuel in the filter itself, but if you are careful and have a bucket to catch the fuel that drains out you're OK. The only line that you could really crimp is from the tank to the filter and I would imagine you'll want to replace that line as well while you are under there. Rubber fuel line is cheap anyway. Just make sure you get hose that is made for fuel injected engines

Actually for my 94 it has always been a pain as it has some parts from 93 and a few from 95s, it came that way.

anyway the part numbers for the parts the dealer sold me were
5142593-aa for the cap
56027019 for the rotor

if someone could verify those i would appreicate it.

pete

bacelaw said:
how difficult is a distributor cap, rotor, and spark plug wire change?

what about the fuel filter? how difficult is it to swap out? - do you have to depressurize the fuel system first - i have a '96 with 120k...my fuel filter looks like crap..

Cap, rotor, and plug wires are some of the easiest things to replace. Hell, replacing my wiper blades took more effort! Take the new cap, and swap the wires over from the old one so that they're in the same sequence, using the screws as a guide. It's just two screws to pull the cap (one on each side, easily spotted). Once you pull the cap off, the rotor pulls straight out. Pull it and slide on the new rotor. Put your new cap on and tighten the screws. For your wires, pull them one at a time, matching them with the same length new wire and replacing them. Just don't get your wires mixed up, or else your plugs will be firing at the wrong time.

Back