• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front hub bearing (4x4) repack/replacement

Dann

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have a link to a site that can walk someone through removing/repacking/replacing the front hub bearings(4x4) on a '98 XJ. I don't have a shop manual, just a Haynes, and they of course advise against doing it yourself, and thus don't have a step by step with photos at all. I'm a fabricator/welder by trade, and have done my fair share of wrenching, but would like to see what is involved before doing it. I'm capable of learn as I go, but also believe that piss poor planning = piss poor performance. Thanks in advance, Dann

Those are unit bearing hub assemblies. To my knowledge, you can't service them. Pricey too! For the price of new ones, you are half way to the price of a hub conversion.(which are serviceable)

HTH, Dan

It is theoretically possible to disassemble, clean, and repack or replace the bearings in the hub. The tough part is getting an arbor press with the right mandrels to push the hub apart. Most guys don't have access to a big enough press, unless they are friends with a machine shop.

Given that, replacing the hubs is the next best solution. Another recent thread has the hubs available from Tapco for well under $100 each.

Right. They are not designed to be serviced. It is theoretically possible to order replacement bearings for them, but replacing the bearing requires a big hydraulic shop press, olus knowing how to do it.

They are also sealed -- they cannot be repacked. FSM won't discuss it -- only tells how to replace the assembly.

Thanks all. So it would probably alot less heart ache to replace them entirely. Someone mentioned something about a good source for replacement units, and also something about a conversion. What is up with the conversion?

The Tapco site says the hub ass'y they offer is for up to a '97. Is there that big of a difference between a '97 and '98 hub?

Back