• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

throttle cable

91Limited

NAXJA Forum User
What does the 2nd throttle cable do?

I loosened it when taking off my valve cover and now my tranny shifts early and jerks when it shifts. The only thing i have done besides a valve cover gasket was disconnect and then reconnect the throttle cables. Both of them are tight except for the second one is very loose, so i believe this could be my problem. How do i tighten it??? thanks for any help

91 XJ 4.0/AW4/np242/etc.

That would be your kickdown cable. Your tranny uses its location for shift points.

Thanks, actually i just got done reading a thread like that(no search--stupid noob:doh: ), did it, and took her for a test drive-120% better, it actually feels better than it did before the problem. I noticed that for that 97 i think it was there were just 2 cables. I have 3. The middle one is the one i was originally asking about, though adjusting the last one fixed my problem. The middle one is so loose that it barely moves when the throttle is opened. It connects to a container about the size of a baseball on the passenger side of the engine bay. Looks vacuum related but thats just my guess. WHat does this cable do and is it fine to have it as loose as i have it? How do you adjust this one?

ok well i guess i can live with that, i barely ever go on the highway, and with all the fawkin construction on all the highways here around chicago, i doubt i would get the chance to use CC anyways

thanks all for the replies

Back