• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 wheel steering

actually it's a ex xj.lol infact i sent you some pics last week when we discussed your shifter. I have been looking every where for the hot setup. not much out there that i can find.

FarmerMatt said:
Yep. All bolt on. Find yourself a front XJ 30 & just throw it under the rear... Dunn

Matt
Wouldn't you want to use a YJ? Cherokees are rear leaf. I thought the XJ rear 30 was for the TJ rear steer conversion????

First thing you'll need is one of these:

wallet_full_of_dollars.jpg

Then find yourself one of these:

yellow_book.gif

Or you could do a search on Pirate and get advice from loads of folks who've done it before!
HTH

Posted Pirate at the same time, with about the same results.
I have the bucks.
I don't know what your phone book looks like in Oklahoma, but mine doesn't have rear steer shops under the automotive section in So. Cal.
Boy, slap me silly.
I guess it's the price you have to pay to be the newbie!

Last edited by a moderator:
You are going to need to get knuckles and outers from a front axle on your rear end, or run a front 60 in the rear. You will have to figure out a hydro steering set up to turn the wheels.
Why do you want rear steering, other than the bling factor? XJ's have a descent turning radius and, that is a really complicated setup that can fail and leave you in a bad situation. Very few comp buggies use it anymore. It was more of a fad that seems to have been abandoned.

Honestly, this is one of those things that if you have to ask how than you don't know enough to do it. What front end were you going to use? If you keep the offset diff than you'll have to swap in an offset transfercase to go with. If not than you'll have to swap inner "C"'s out onto a rear end. What suspension were you going to run it with? What are you going to do for the steering hydralics?

If you have a specific question than you'll get tons of input & suggestions, but if you expect someone to type out a full on step by step instruction manuel from a one line question than you have way too high of expectations.

FarmerMatt said:
Honestly, this is one of those things that if you have to ask how than you don't know enough to do it. What front end were you going to use? If you keep the offset diff than you'll have to swap in an offset transfercase to go with. If not than you'll have to swap inner "C"'s out onto a rear end. What suspension were you going to run it with? What are you going to do for the steering hydralics?

If you have a specific question than you'll get tons of input & suggestions, but if you expect someone to type out a full on step by step instruction manuel from a one line question than you have way too high of expectations.
I'd think one could run an offset diff and still be okay, sine the DS will have a double cardan and the angle wouldn't be THAT awful.
But, then, of course, you'll run into the fact that you'll be running a reverse rotation R&P, most likely, and your forward torque will be against the coast side of the R&P.

Hey guys i am sure i asked for a link, or thread on rear steer? this was in hopes to confirm what i already had decided on doing. step by step instructions isn't my style from anybody. With that said, I guess I need to be more specific in the future. one of the projects i have going now is an ex XJ. just started it last week with the purpose of week trips to Baja. People in Baja often are impressed by just seeing a car, they really dont care if it has rear steer or not! do i have to have it? nope. am i wanting it to impress anybody? nope. there are places and times when it would be very cool and helpful to have it. I really appreciate those of you that gave me the info. you thought i was asking for. The xj is a unique project and im having a blast doing it. thanks for the help.
Here's what i got so far.

"http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g23/metaltwister/PICT0002.jpg"

Last edited:
Hey before you get all worked up! the light bar folds back and down. The lights are for mock up only... they are not installed yet. Bead locks are at the waterjet being blinged out. Ha, Ha, Ha

when you say week trips to Baja... that makes me think of pre-running stuff... for which rear-steer is of no use... or are you going to be rock-crawling with this thing? If you're planning on using it for street driving or pre-running I think a good lockout pin to hold it straight would be a good idea.

as far as how...

well you're going to pretty much need D60 outers to hold up to a rear-steer application. choose your center-section (Hi9 would be my first choice), buy or build a housing (currie, diamond axle, spidertrax, sunray are good places to start) put D60 outers on it. 35 spline Spicer stubs would be minimum IMO, better would be alloys, best would be the new Longfield CVs. Build your suspension (looks like it's links for you) keeping in mind clearances of articulation combined with turned wheels. Put a hydro-ram on it. Plumb your ram through a simple steering valve, looks like you're going full-hydro up front, so get an orbital that has an output for rear-steer. any decent shop that's going to sell you the rams and orbital will help you through choosing the right ones and the right valve for rear-steering.

Brett your right. full hydro front and rear. Howe hydraulics here in town has set me up with the rams, steering column, ect. John at Border parts is supplying the D60's. along with cv's ect. We pre-run with a with one of our pre-runners. With this car we will do cross country trips and try to stay away from the speedy stuff. Some rock crawling, but mostly, and litterly cross country trips. thanx again for your help, you obviously know your s--t. been enjoying your replies to others for sometime now. thanx for the help.

I will get with you next month and order the shifter.

i thought you said you had an xj. The only thing on that chassis that is XJ is the motor...i think. It would have been better to start out your post by saying you had a tube frame that you wanted to put rear steer on. Pirate seems like a good place. That being said, i think its a sick looking tube frame. I'd like to see it done.

Back