• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where is back-up switch. Electrical prob

JarheadJon

NAXJA Forum User
My 97's reverse lights do not light up. I have checked the fuzes in the PDC and the junction block (per the FSM), and all are fine. I checked the bulbs, just fine.

That leaves the switch... Where oh where is the back up switch? I could not decipher the location in the FSM. But then me reading electrical diagrams can be a joke in and of it self.

One other symptom to help diagnos the problem...
about 2 weeks ago i noticed the back up lights were slow to activate and now they dont work. Sounds like corrosion? At the switch?

Thanks,
Jon

desertjeeper, thanks for your guidance thus far. And hats off to you resourcefulness in determining my transmisson by searching my posts.

Given the information you have sent my way and referencing my FSM to it. I can see the 97+ part name changed as well. Its called the PARK/NEUTRAL Position Switch and the "back up lamp switch that I did a search for in part of the circutry there of. The problem i have now is that the 97 XJ FSM lists the Position Switch, PARK/NEUTRAL; to be on page 21-89... How the hell can I be missing 88 & 89 out of a new service manual!

On 21-93 there is a diagram.. ah relief. it does appear to be the same switch as the jeep'n source. But then again Im missing 21-94, Damn!

Once again I appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Jon

desertjeeper said:
He's got an AW4 http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47607

This is controlled by the Neutral Saftey Switch (NSS) on the AW4, These are expensive to replace but they can usually be cleaned. http://jeepin.com/features/nss/

The 97 and up show a different part number so I'm not sure that procedure will work on yours. I know it works for older XJs but I'm not sure about the newer ones.

The NSS is identical for 97 and up. It just has a different connector on it. I've got a 99 NSS out in the garage that I'll sell you for $50. I'll even clean it first. On second thought, no I'll just tell you to clean yours and see if I can find a sucker on eBay to pay $100.

Another good cleaning writeup at http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm.

My 95 was different than the write up. I just needed to take the adjusting (small bolt at the top) off and then pried it off with a brake adjusting lever. The big nut comes off with the NSS. The rest was the same.

JarheadJon,

My 97 has a similar problem. When mine is cold I have no back -up lights. When hot they work. I guess the grease in the NSS is gummed up and frees up when hot.

I could not find any fuse that was stated as for this circuit, but my problem is probably in the NSS anyway.

Please post your fix .
Thanks.
Jeff

Well, its done. Just like the right-up linked above.

Easy as pie. I have to thank y'all for the guidance. Thats whats great about this sight. A helping hand is never far away. Its espacially rewarding when you do the search and nothing comes up per your search. Like when i searched back-up light switch, nothing meaningfull came up. And I got that out of the FSM. I never would of looked up NSS bacause thats not in the 97's FSM. 2 hit later on this thread and the answer surfaced.

Thanks again guys.
Jon

Yes i know this is an old thread, But it is a thread that should be seen. I found it in a SEARCH and it just saved me at the least $200.

So anyone with starting problems or no backup light problems here is your answer.

Back