• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BIG mistake

G.Q. Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Once again I out did myself, I got rid of my XJ back in December. I replaced it with a 2000 Jeep TJ Sport. I am not happy with this decision what so ever and need to return to the XJ world. Since TJ's have excellent resale value, I dought I will lose much money, if any at all.

My searching the XJ world is simple I would preferably like to get a 97-98 4dr white XJ, doing it up with a RE 4.5" kit, and 32's, but I will also settle for the right one that is around 91+ with the same mods.

What I need to know is do you need a SYE for the 97's and newer XJ if I go to the 4.5" kit? is it a must? or does it all depend? I did a search, but still find it confusing, what is everyone who has this set up think?

Thanks
Jeff

With that new of an Xj its almost a gurantee you will need it. Even TC drop and shims, general concensus with the newer XJ's around here is that anything over 3 you will need it. Since you are looking at the 4.5 kit, without gear and bumpers, sliders, etc. you'll probably net 5-5.5, so I would definitely budget for it.

PS. Welcome back to the REAL JEEP world ;)

I have run 4.5 on a 99 without an SYE or Tcase drop for over a year... It never hurt to budget for one, it's better in the long run, but if you can't afford it, you may not need it.

Welcome back Jeff:))) too bad you sold your XJ":) hope the fan worked when you sold it:)
btw... real jeeps have square headlights:)))

Did the same thing a few years ago...wrecked my 94 bought a 98 TJ...traded it back in three months later on my 01 XJ. They don't make a better vehicle.

G.Q. Jeeper said:
What I need to know is do you need a SYE for the 97's and newer XJ if I go to the 4.5" kit? is it a must? or does it all depend? I did a search, but still find it confusing, what is everyone who has this set up think?

Thanks
Jeff
you say that as if they started using the external tailshaft in 97 but some 96's like mine built in aug. have the external tailshaft as well. i wouldnt run over 3" without a sye, thats just me. and certainly no TC drop junk kits.

G.Q. Jeeper said:

Thanks
Jeff
you say that as if they started using the external tailshaft in 97 but 96's like mine built in aug. have the external tailshaft as well. i wouldnt run over 4" without a sye, thats just me. and certainly no TC drop junk kits.

Last edited:
almost all 96's have the external tailshaft. In fact, I dont know of one that doesnt. Thats why the Hack and Tap is 96+ and 95-

I had a 4.5" lift and 33's on my 2000 ZJ..i thought my terrible vibrations were just from having Baja Claws, but I just got an SYE and new DS installed and the difference is huge. I had a t-case drop for awhile but I still had terrible vibes. I'd recommend getting an SYE and Ds from the start, make it part of your budget. And when you have it installed, go ahead and tell them you plan on going to 6" lift and 35's in the future....because you know you will!

And welcome back!

Chris

I had to install SYEs on my 00 and my 99 both with 4.5" lifts. If you're short on money go Hack n Tap over nothing.

I'm running 5" of lift on my 98 and I got vibs did a Tcase drop and it got ride of them but I also have a degree shim under the new leafs.

Back