• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cage blueprints

LilRedRover

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, well I am making my rig trail only this summer as I am buying a DD civic for gas reasons, but not getting rid of the heep as it's paid off... naturally in the evolution of things, a cage is in order. I have looked and the "bolt in" cages I think are junk, but as I have never done anything like this before I need some help with designs and what not. I will admit I am a newb at custom fab, but my best friend and his father own a machine shop and have all the tools and knowledge to cut and weld what I need, but not the knowledge of how to build a good, solid cage. Do any of you have the blueprint of how you built your cage you could load up and help me out?

Well... i honestly dont think this is something someone can tell you how to do.

But, I can try to give you a little advice. Best to start with good material, this wont necessarily determine the strength of you cage, but it will allow you to have a peace of mind. Use at least .120" HREW. If I were to do my cage over again, I might step up with a little more money and use .120" DOM. The standard for the main structure is 1.75" dia tubing, with 1.50" tubing used for the rest of the stuff. I threw in some 1.25" and 1" for some random things.

As far as design goes, I recommend to build it for YOUR needs at the time you decide to do it. If you want to fit 4 people i recommend looking at these cages for a copy.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=78911&highlight=capt.+nemo
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35887&highlight=rick+xtrm+xj

I personally recommend something like those cages. Being able to have the function of doors, hatch, people, etc.

Now if you are wanting more than that, the sky is the limit. Use common sense. Triangulation is key to a "perfect" cage, but you dont need very much. Just gusset 90* joints and make it attached to the body very well.

Matt

by triangulation, do you mean tubing welded in diagonally across large voids?

gussetting would be plate or something welding in the bends of the cage, correct?

I have a feeling those helping me will know how to make it strong, but as far as design to start with is what I'm looking for. I plan on removing the back seat and putting custom made childrens seats in that space. I don't want to lose ability to open doors or hatch, however I am not a very tall guy... 5'10 or so so bar across the roof shouldn't be an issue either. What is the best way to tie the bottom of the cage into the body? with it being a unibody vehicle, I am having trouble thinking how to make that part sturdy so it doesn't push through if rolled on the top.

tealcherokee said:
could always go exo.... theres a lot of threads on both search for exo* or cage

I searched, but nobody has actual designs, just pictures. Exo is out, If I'm not mistaken they aren't legal in WV. I still want this legal and streetable, just a little safer for on trail.

My recomendation is to start with the D&C cage.
Unbeatable for under $500.
Like I said, "START with..."
You'll have to add some triangulation and frame tie ins but that's the easy part.

kid4lyf said:
My recomendation is to start with the D&C cage.
Unbeatable for under $500.
Like I said, "START with..."
You'll have to add some triangulation and frame tie ins but that's the easy part.
Worked for me!

well, looks like D&C is the way to go for a start... someone be kind enough to point me in that direction?

Back