• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 detriot

XJdePlato

NAXJA Forum User
I found one hell of a deal on a detriot for my front end. My question is whether there are any real disadvantages to having one up front? Will I notice it while in 2WH? Thanks

that's just what I wanted to hear. My preference would be an arb up front for those tight switchbacks on the trail, but as long as it won't be herky-jerky on the street I'll be happy. I'm going to splurdge and get an arb for my new 8.8.

The guy told me that the R&P set that was installed withg said detroit locker grenaded which is what prompted him to remove the detroit. also he is selling it as is. Now I know from a friends experience with a detroit in a D35 , that if the axle shaft break it destroys the detoit. Is there much risk that this locker had similarly been destroyed by a broken R&P? I found a used ARB for the D30 thats only a hundred bucks more and right now I'm leaning in that direction. I'll probably actuate it with my CO2 tank and a mechanical togle switch( I hate solinoids!). But as that someone recently stole my CO2 out of my jeep I'm going to try converting an old scuba tank that I don't use anymore into my onboard C02 tank. I'll start a new thread about this.

yeah , if I can get an ARB up front I will , even if it's a bit used. It's just that steering sucks so bad when you have a front locker engaged on the trail. I can't wait to have lockers front and rear, right now I only have a lunchbox locker in my D35 and it helps but it's not the same.

sorry to dig an old thread up. But I was "accidently" sold (through internet trading) a detriot locker 162SL-60B for my front D30 (wanted a tru-trac).

Can anyone please verify with me if it "really" does adversly effect diveability in full-time 4wd. My understanding it does, hence my decison for a tru-trac. however, since i have this now, I am considering it. I dont often (very rarely) drive in snow however icy/slippery roads down here in oz in the mountains are common (which is when I use my full-time).

Thanks for any response.

Yes it will.
Detroit will be locked any time power is applied to it.
In this case you will have full-time locker.
Caveat: Detroit is not engaged when power is not being applied, for instance, letting off the gas while cornering.

Last edited:
Back