• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aftermarket windshields

Erik the Red

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

A rock chip and resultant 2 foot long crack means I have to replace my Comanche windshield for a second time in as many years. This is getting old as well as expensive. I was doing a little research but I can't figuure out how to tell if one brand, type, manufacturer of windshield is better than another. Does anybody have any experience with windshields? How to buy the best one? Is a dealer windshield better than aftermarket? And what's this about crappy Chinese windshields? Arrgghs.

Erik
88 Comanche

Well, being from NJ, I don't know how this will relate to California, but:

I had to replace my windshield this winter, after a crack appeared.

I called the local dealer (who does my annual trans/tcase/diffs service), and asked how much for the job.

They told me they subcontract out their glass work, and gave me the name and number of the guy. Called him right up, he could come to me (!!) and do the job during the week, or if I could get to his other shop (about 40 minutes away from my home), I could get it done while I waited (!!!!!).

I got down there quick and got it done. Not OEM, but seems like a nice part nonetheless. I don't have the XJ with me today to check, but I think it's a Mexican make.

Not only was the job done quick (guy got lucky and had some of the quick-set adhesive left for mine, so I was out of there in 95 minutes), but they also found a leak on the lower right corner with the old glass (said they saw it a lot on XJs, even brand new ones). New glass and lots of sealant fixed it nice.

I was back on the road for under $300, I have a nice piece of glass, and superb workmanship. So far, no regrets on going non-OEM.

My father went with me, and liked their work so much he had his SL-1's windshield done a couple months later. I think he saved a couple hundred bucks compared to OEM. So far, he's happy too.

Of course, YRMV.

Rob

Erik,

What do you pay for a windshield? I carry comprehensive on my 88 XJ just for glass replacement and other "acts of God". I have a '03 Buick Le Sabre with a Heads up display (HUD) and have been told the front windshield is $1500 while the back windows with defroster and radio antenna is $1300. I can pay for a lot of comp coverage before I pay for one window.

I have read the older windshields worked great except in an accident where occupants heads went through the windshield. The glass would give as their head went though but then the would not remove their heads because the glass had contracted. In some cases the hole in the glass was so small the person was sufficated.

I think in the 90s the US Dept of Trans revised the window glass requirments to allow windows to break so the person who put their head through the glass can pull it out without aide of the fire dept.

It is a trade off thing, I have friends who said the same thing as you and told them about the change then asked "which do you want, a tough window or have your head get stuck in an accident?"

You may want to go to a salvage yard and pull a windshield out of a wrecked XJ/MJ. I think their are date codes on the glass so it should be fairly easy to figure out. That way you can get a windshield with the older formulation which will keep you captive until the rescue people show up.

My 88 XJ still has the factory glass in it but I wear my seat belt; hopefully, I'll never contact the glass in an accident.

Martin

I'm not sure if they're in CA, but I got mine replaced by Binswanger for $193. That included coming out to my location, the materials (glass and seal), labor, and the warranty.
As far as different types/makes go, I'm no glass expert, but I figure if a windshield is DOT approved and is correctly installed, it won't fly out on it's own and will provide adequate protection to the occupants of the vehicle.

Calvin
NAXJA #365

They all have to meet DOT specs, but they are not all of the same quality. I get glass work done through a small shop whose owner is an AMX fan I met through my brother. When I call about a windshield, the first question is "Is this for your car?" The second question, especially if it isn't for one of my vehicles, is "Do you want good quality or offshore glass?"

The difference is in the optical clarity. I've had windshileds installed at my house for as little as $125, but that was for an "offshore" windshield and it was a bit wavy. Not terribly, horribly, unbearably wavy, but not as distortion-free as OEM glass.

You should be able to get a decent XJ/MJ windshield installed at your location for $150 to $175.

I have a $100 comprehensive deductible for windshields so while I'm not spending a thousand or so, I am getting a little tired writing deductible checks. I didn't know about the crash shrinkage problem of older windshields but it sounds pretty gruesome. Doesn't sound like an old windshield is the way to go.

I was reading about an anti-dumping tariff lawsuit by the major domestic manufacturers and they argued as Eagle points out that Chinese aftermarket replacement glass had a poorer fit and finish--opacity, coloration, dimensional differences--from OEM glass. I called a Jeep dealer about OEM Chrysler glass but he said it was unavailable and that my only recourse was the aftermarket stuff. I guess there are domestic ARG manufacturers but even so, some of them like Pilkington (which I think makes glass for Ford) source from Chinese factories. My existing windshield is made by "Shat-R-Proof", whoever they are.

It's maddening, especially since there doesn't seem to be any consumer quality studies on various replacement windshields brands. I do know that the insurance industry has been involved in keeping prices down on replacement windshields but that doesn't necessarily mean the consumer gets OEM quality. Probably the opposite. I guess I'll just tell the installer not to use a Chinese windshield and to stick to PPG or LOF. Problem is, I don't think the label indicates the country of manufacture.

Erik
88 Comanche

! was quoted 165 installed new windshield from a local shop. Also, like ROB said, My old boss, her husband was the sub contractor for many GA dealers. He said he could get me a new windshield for 120 installed but no warranty. Dunno if it all subcontractors, but he said its usually the dealers responsibility to warranty the new shields. When the time comes, I may pay the 40 bucks for that piece of mind.

Back