• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anti-sway bar link removal

robsewter

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have a cherokee but were working on a 99 wranger. similar if not exact same front suspension. I am trying to install new jks quick dissconnects but I cannot manage the removal of the stock links from the attachment point on the antisway bar. I actually did read the directions and it mentioned a special tie rod removal tool. Is there anyway around buying this tool to remove them?

Thanks,
Robert

p.s. Im just a user now but next paycheck i become a member... promise.

your talking about the stock lower mount right?

If so you can get a "loan a tool" from most auto parts stores for the TRE tool, see if you can get the one with two arms to get a better alignment with the stud.

I had to cut mine then use heat and then smack it with a BFH and a punch to get them out.

TJ's run something like a "rubber" tre at the top.Use a pickle fork or a puller(you may have to drop the bar to get the puller on).

AIR HAMMER!!! put an air hammer on it with a narrow chisel bit between the bolt head and the mount arm. pops right out. don't have an air hammer? walmart(downfall of western civilization) has 'em for like 15 bucks. its a press fit bolt. I know some have had luck with heating it with a torch and smacking it with a bfh.

We ended up forking the money over for the removal tool. It worked easy. Also made me look like an idiot for banging it with a hammer hours earlier. Lesson learned, do it right, get the proper tools.

Back