• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ D44

flash_gordon

NAXJA Forum User
Would a D44 out of a TJ be the same as a D44 for a Cherokee, minus the brackets of course?
Shawn

91 Jeep Project said:
Well a front TJ and a Front XJ 44 (should you have one from down south) will have the same brackets. So I'd imagine he is asking about the rear..........;)

nope the rubicon front 44 is a POS. it is basically a 30 in disguise.

I believe this is a yes. I know the axle shafts are interchangable. minus brackets it should be the same.

I'm looking for something to replace my c8.25 29 spline. I want to run 4.88 gears. The one out of the TJ is like $150. I know the front 44s are a glorified 30s, just was not sure about the rear. Sounds like I should keep looking?
Shawn

jeepinxj01 said:
It has the 35 tubes and it's a low pinion. There's better out there. Unless it's free....then what the hell. :wave:

Kyle

Huh? Would like to know the source of this village wisdom.

The TJ D-44 (non rubicon) and the Xj D-44 are the same width, same differential offset, hence the same length axle shafts. The 44 has a larger diameter tube, larger shaft diameter, and larger bearings. Geez....
My d44 from an 86 XJ is a low pinion rear, by definition. Geez again ....

flash_gordon said:
I'm looking for something to replace my c8.25 29 spline. I want to run 4.88 gears. The one out of the TJ is like $150. I know the front 44s are a glorified 30s, just was not sure about the rear. Sounds like I should keep looking?
Shawn

$150 ain't bad, and the ZJ discs are a direct bolt on. If you are ditching the 8.25 to get the 4.88s, this wouldn't be a bad option. It'd depend on what you are after.

DaffyXJ said:

The TJ D-44 (non rubicon) and the Xj D-44 are the same width, same differential offset, hence the same length axle shafts. The 44 has a larger diameter tube, larger shaft diameter, and larger bearings. Geez....

TJ Rear D44s have Dana 35 tubes, we didn't make it up.

DaffyXJ said:

Geez yourself. I was thinkin' the RUBI. Geez again yourself.

So....the 44 out of a Rubi is once again a low pinion 44 w/ 35 tubes.

I was going to add disc brakes the the c8.25 but since I was building a new front axle I thought I would like to go to 4.88s with the 35s. I thought $150 was not bad, but just was not sure about the build. I don't want to skimp if it would be better to get a 44 out of an XJ, or maybe 8.8 or taco axle.
Thanks for the info.
Shawn

Rear TJ D44s seam to bring a higher price than Rear XJ D44s. You might want to look into what you could sell it for, then buy an XJ D44 with the proceeds. If you were close by I would definately trade you an XJ D44 and some cash for the TJ axle.

The TJ axles sell for more for a few reasons: TJ D44s don't seem to be as available as XJ D44s. The '87 XJs are old, worth little, and find their way to the cheap junkyards, TJs on the other hand either get repaired or end up in the more expensive late model or Jeep only junkyards. It's also more difficult to swap a non-TJ axle into a TJ than it is to do the same on an XJ so people are less willing to do it.

Now to answer your question, yes it will fit in the XJ just fine. It does use smaller axle tubes, so It will bend easier, but It will fit. Just whack the brackets off and weld on some spring perches and shock mounts.

flash_gordon said:
I was going to add disc brakes the the c8.25 but since I was building a new front axle I thought I would like to go to 4.88s with the 35s. I thought $150 was not bad, but just was not sure about the build. I don't want to skimp if it would be better to get a 44 out of an XJ, or maybe 8.8 or taco axle.
Thanks for the info.
Shawn

if you have availibility of an 8.8... I would go with it... you have the advantage of the larger ring gear and an extra spline... yippy... not to mention if you can find a late model that already has disc, as opposed to have to get ZJ brakes for the 44

I had planned to do the 8.8, but some recent reading about the taco got my attention. I saw the TJ D44 with a low price so I thought I would check it out. I am going to stay away from the TJ, I don't seem to be gaining much over what I already have, (C8.25 29 spline, 4.56 gears, alloy shafts and a No-slip) except deeper gears.
Thanks for the info guys!
Shawn

Back