• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ 1 ton package?

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
A buddy of mine told me that certain MJ's have a 1-ton package which consists of D44's front and rear, is this true?

239348923DPETpo_ph.jpg

91 Jeep Project said:
No, it just means it had a D44 rear. If it was a South American XJ, then it would be a D44 front, and a D60 rear
Got a source for this info?

To the best of my knowledge, XJs built in Venezuela got D44s front and rear, and I know for a fact that the XJs in Chile were built in the US and have Dana 35 rears and Dana 30 fronts.

Eagle said:
Got a source for this info?

To the best of my knowledge, XJs built in Venezuela got D44s front and rear, and I know for a fact that the XJs in Chile were built in the US and have Dana 35 rears and Dana 30 fronts.

Excuse me, I wasn't specific enough. Venezuelan MJs got 44s front and rear. If it had the metric ton package, it got a 60 out back. I've had that picture for so long I can't remember the source anymore. But the individual that owned it confirmed the SF 60 rear from the factory on the metric ton package

might have gotten an AMC model 20 if it was one of the early MJ metric tonnes.

It would also have a extra leaf (heavy duty) on the rear suspension along with a decal in the rear window for the later ones, or an emblem on the tailgate for earlier years.

HEY! somebody stole my build-plan for MY MJ, right down to the main color and trim color. Still, it DOES look really good. Thanks for sharing a picture of a NICE MJ.

91 Jeep Project said:
Excuse me, I wasn't specific enough. Venezuelan MJs got 44s front and rear. If it had the metric ton package, it got a 60 out back. I've had that picture for so long I can't remember the source anymore. But the individual that owned it confirmed the SF 60 rear from the factory on the metric ton package
That would have been an MJ not an XJ. There was never a metric ton XJ. And there's a lot more to South America than just Venezuela (although I imagine President Chavez would be distressed by the concept).

And I suspect that 87manche has it right. The metric ton rear axle for 1986 was the AMC model 20, which has a huge and very impressive looking pumpkin -- but it isn't a Dana 60.

Yup, most Metric Tons in 86 got the AMC-20. (although they didn't leave the factory with quite that much rust)
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

63359849.jpg

Nice spare, Pete :)

Looks like if you tried to use it the rim might collapse due to lack of any solid material left.

Funny thing is that there's still pressure in it. As far as I can tell, I have original 1986 Toledo air. :D
Jeep on!
--Pete

I have several like that, although some are from XJs and not as rusty. Only one of 'em doesn't hold air. I keep thinking they MUST be good for something -- maybe some kind of light duty trailer?

I was thinking more along the lines of hanging it on the garage wall and calling it "memorabila", but it's all good. :D I'm under the impression that most spares are rated for 50 miles at 50 mph, so I'm not sure how safe trailer-use would be on the road.
Jeep on!
--Pete

In the owner's manual for my Wrangler the factory donut spare(the tiny one) it says it's good for 3k miles, but not that I'd do it.

Back