• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cobra cb I just saw this add.

redneckjeeper94 said:
do those things even work out for a mile, i knew someone who had one of those and he couldnt talk to me across the parkin lot
most all CB's output the same wattage. The most likley cause for poor CB performance is in the coax or the antenna.
Did he have his antenna tuned properly with a SWR meter? Did it have a proper ground plane?

I have one of those with a tuned Wison 5000 whip antenna and it rocks. Its a good unit but like said above it needs to be tuned properly. You can't just hook up the cb, and antenna and expect it to work like a big rig.

If you want a bad ass CB go to a truck stop and get a used unit that has ben "tweaked and peaked" . Antenna length makes a big difference too. If you want a system that will enable you to comunicate for really long distance in the middle of nowhere get a HAM operators liscense and a HAM system for your jeep.But start studying morse code now if you want to go that route.

I just got the radio and it seems to have a decent range but it was tested by a radio guy but easter weekend is so quiet it is hard to give a review. I will revive this post next week to let you all know how it works out

XJdePlato said:
If you want a bad ass CB go to a truck stop and get a used unit that has ben "tweaked and peaked" . Antenna length makes a big difference too. If you want a system that will enable you to comunicate for really long distance in the middle of nowhere get a HAM operators liscense and a HAM system for your jeep.But start studying morse code now if you want to go that route.
When did Morse code become a requirement? I got my tech class license a couple years ago...no code required!

88'XJ said:
they are 4 watt units to my knowlage
Yes, they are. Just like almost every other CB on the market. $ watts is the maximum allowed without an operators license. If you buy A CB that operates on SSB(single side band) you can find them rated for 10-15 watts...however, that does require a license, And quite a bit of dough. Most SSB CB units I have seen start at around $175.

JOHNX is correct --- I've been running cb, 2mtr, 440 & 220 for yrs in my various rigs --- just be aware of what repeaters are in your area of operation and go for it --- some even have phone patches.

packratt53 said:
JOHNX is correct --- I've been running cb, 2mtr, 440 & 220 for yrs in my various rigs --- just be aware of what repeaters are in your area of operation and go for it --- some even have phone patches.
I'll be looking you up when I'm in the area for the local Repeaters :D

JohnX said:
When did Morse code become a requirement? I got my tech class license a couple years ago...no code required!

Several years ago they added the no-code technician licence. You still need to know code for general and above. Technician is fine for 2-meter mobile stuff.

Back