• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crossmember Info

BingBing

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know the difference between the crossmembers in XJ's? They are supposed to be different between the 231 and 242 but i don't really see the difference in the two. I swapped in a 231 for my 242 and i can't put the crossmember up without a drop because it pushes my engine into the radiator. So i was told to get a crossmember from an XJ that has a 231. Will this fix it? It doesn't make sense to me. :dunno:

Yea i know the 242 has a larger case but, the crossmembers are supposed to be different. Even when you order a HD X-member they ask you what t-case you have. The 231 X-member seems to be a little thicker. Thats all i see by eyeing them.

Basing this answer on what I found in my parts catalogues, there are different ones. What one depends on the engine/transmission combination. The t-case is irrelevant to the crossmember.

Yea thats obvious that the crossmembers are different for the 5speed and the auto. I'm refering to the auto. They used two different x-members for the t-cases. If anyone has done this swap please chime in with any help.

Last edited:
The 242 has a lower drop- that makes sense. But, If you order up a Heavy Duty x-member from say Rusty's or TNT, that doesn't have a skidplate attached they ask for what t-case you have. Why is that? If it didn't matter they wouldn't ask.

Last edited:
BingBing said:
The 242 has a lower drop- that makes sense. But, If you order up a Heavy Duty x-member from say Rusty's or TNT, that doesn't have a skidplate attached they ask for what t-case you have. Why is that? If it didn't matter they wouldn't ask.
Off hand, I don't know.

Back