• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior Gas Tank...

xj-fx

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone running an interior gas tank in an XJ.. love to see a photo of the set up...

On most inside fuel cell do you fill them up by sticking the nozzle inside the vehicle or do you need to run the filler tube to the outside of the body...

I am planning to install a fuel cell inside soon also so I am interested also. There are just two concerns I have though: does anyone know if there is an issue with emissions testing since they have to pressurize the tank?, and is there any law prohibiting the tank from being inside the vehicle?

Dave

In my opinion,

Interior gas tank = BAD idea

I imagine you would have legal issues if you intend to drive the thing on-road- depends on where you live I guess-

I wouldn't ride in a vehicle where the gas tank was mounted directly behind me with only the backseat as protection.

I you want the clearance underneath, go with a smaller tank or fuel cell with a lower profile and carry spare cans of gas OUTSIDE of the vehicle

-B

I put my gas tank half in and half out.
No problems.

standard.jpg

fj-40's have the tank under the passenger seat inside the vehicle.......why can't you put one inside an XJ???

i see nothing wrong with it, so long as there are no leaks.

if you put a fuel cell inside you can either just open the rear hatch to fill it up, or mount a filler through one of the rear side windows. to put it through the rear side window, you'll need to take the glass out and replace it with either Lexan or polycarb (you can use plexiglas, but i don't recommend it). Lexan is cheap and can be cut with a jig saw.....an easy installation. loog at JeepSpeed XJ's. they mostly run fuel cells and have the filler in the rear side window.

I dont think that they would make it mandatory for jeepspeed if it was not safe. chevy truck came with the fuel tank behind the bench seat in the 60's as well. most of the jeepspeed xjs run the filler to the lexan side window.
IMG_0968.jpg

Did it a while ago. Miss my storage space, but i like the departure angle.

11.jpg

13.jpg

18.jpg

17.jpg

Still need to relocate the filler neck higher, its in the stock location and i can't fill all the way up right now ('bout 15 gallons)

18.jpg

do you have access to the rest of the space next to the tank. It looks like it would be good for some engine oil/fluids/water/etc. an air tank that fits there would be good use of the space as well. looks good though.

That looks clean Rockcontrol, I moved my tank up after smashing it, one of my best mods so far, seemed like every climb had a big rock at the bottom to hang on the tank.

I built a little storage compartment in front of the tank that i stashed my spare shafts and shackles in, but other than that its all just wasted space. Have to get really creative packing now...........

Back