• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seal-y question about rear transmission seal.

JEONLYEP

NAXJA Forum User
So I have my t-case out of the Jeep for a rebuild. I make a last minute dision to replace the rear seal on the transmission (aw4) I pop the seal out and get a replacement, as I'm getting ready to put it in I relialize that I'm not sure which side goes in first. I didn't look at that when I took the seal out.

If I were to guess the side with the writing on it goes in to the front, so that the side with the spring is visable from the rear of the tranny.

Am I right?

Thanks

DAryl

Sorry about the pun.

Spring in/writing out(to the rear).

Everone agree with RCP Phx?

It's just that I was 70% sure that it was the other way, but now I don't know. There is always the chance that it was in wrong before. Just being carefull.

It's not that I don't trust you RCP Phx, it's just that you said what I didn't think you'd say.

Thanks again.

DAryl

That's true.

I saw a mark on writing side of the seal that looked like it was a mark from prying it out, and I seem to remember seeing the spring.

It very well have been in backwards before. When I took the t-case off there was a bit of fluid between the case and the tranny that leaked out as soon as I started taking the nuts off holding the two together. The seal that I took out looks in great shape, so if it were backards that could explain the leak.

opps, started rambling. Sorry.

Thanks for the advice. Glad I asked.

DAryl

I have yet to see any grease/oil seal driven in with the spring facing outwards.

The backside of the lip is pressed against the sealing surface both by the garter spring and by the fluid "pressure" (it's not much, most times) against the "outside" of the lip.

5-90

5-90 said:
I have yet to see any grease/oil seal driven in with the spring facing outwards.

The backside of the lip is pressed against the sealing surface both by the garter spring and by the fluid "pressure" (it's not much, most times) against the "outside" of the lip.

5-90
Yea, that's why when I got to thinking that I had remembered it coming out the other way, that I was concerned. Then I cleaned the seal off good and could see the mark from prying it out matched it being the wrong way.

It that time I was sure that it came out backwards.

At least I know which way to put the new one in now.

Thanks one last time.

DAryl

Back