• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ignition box location?

Troutman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 xj sport with the 4.0 engine. According to my haynes manuel the ignition box is located directly under the coil, NOT so on mine. I'm having a hard time tracing the wires from the coil and I'm not sure what the ignition box looks like. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks for any help

Jim

It is right below the coil and has a few wire connectors on it. Actually if you unbolt the coil, that is what is below it.:)

You might want to make sure that the Hanyes manual is NOT disscussing the RENIX location. I "think" that you actual module is part of the ECU.

Real problem is no spark, trying to trace it backwards. New coil, new dist. cap and rotor.

When unbolting the coil it appears to be bolted to just a bracket that has what appears to be two grounding wires bolted to it. No wire plugs and nothing more then a steel bracket as far as I can tell.

Thanks

Jim

Thursday,%20April%2013,%202006.jpg

Troutman, you may have a fault in the wiring going to the coil, or possibly a bad trigger in the dist. that is unable to tell the comp. to fire the coil.
Billybob, nice pic., but that is for the RENIX system and Jeep quit using that in 1990. 1991 was all chryco. stuff.

Troutman said:
Real problem is no spark, trying to trace it backwards. New coil, new dist. cap and rotor.

When unbolting the coil it appears to be bolted to just a bracket that has what appears to be two grounding wires bolted to it. No wire plugs and nothing more then a steel bracket as far as I can tell.

Thanks

Jim
As mentioned earlier, there is no ignition module on your 93. It's controlled by the ECU. The only thing you'll see is the coil. Make sure you have a good connection where the connector plugs into the coil. I had corrosion on mine that caused problems.

Kyung

Good reminder there, Corbinafly. Hopefully it is just a simple fix.

Do you have power going to the dist.cap? If not, check the coil wire. If no power there, then I would say that the coil it self is probably shot.
ECU stands for Engine Control Unit, also known as the MAIN computer.

The trigger is called a CPS you got one of those for sure.
The pickup in the Distributer is called a CKP Cam position sensor. The engine will have spark with a bad CKP but no spark with a bad CPS.

best I can tell is that I have power going to the coil, don't see any coming out to the dist. Anyone ever buy a new coil and have it be bad? two out of the three tests the manuel sais to do show ok, but third test shows bad, same as old one

Troutman,
disconnect plug at coil and connect meter leads to it then crank the motor for a few seconds and watch for voltage to go on and off. If that's happening then you either have a bad coil or connection. The ECU interupts the ground connection to the coil to create spark. If the signal does come on and off then the CPS is okay too.

Kyung

Troutman said:
I went old school and placed a spark plug in the wire coming from the coil, no spark.
You did ground the plug when you did this right?

Kyung

langer1 said:
You need to find out why you said you don't have spark.
Funny. That's what I was thinking.:confused1

Kyung

Back