• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fixing the spring Hanger... again

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
ok, this time I got the part name right :D

The story goes that when I started to put in the replacement springs I forgot to put in the sleeve into the bushing on the drivers front of the spring. This has resulted in a mishaping of the hanger which I mostly fixed but what still got left behind is a misshaped hole. At this point I think that what it does is it allows the spring to travel around the sleeve and then every so often it locks it crooked. What I want to do to fix it is to bend out the bracket more, and place a BIG washed on the bolt so that the sleeve will have nice smooth rotational travel. Does this sound reasonable? Any other fixes?

Oh, I don't know how ot describe the "misshaping" better then: imagine a piece of metal that's flat with a hole. Now imagine the metal not being flat around the hole anymore, but bent up in one end of the hole.... That's what I'm dealing with.

Kejtar

I think I know what you're talking about. I'll throw this idea out and let me know if it's what you're looking for. Take two 2"x2" steel plates about 1/2" thick, drill a hole through the center of them. (as large as you can that will pass through the spring bolt hole) Position the plates on either side of the hanger and put a grade 8 bolt through all the holes. Use some grease on the nut and bolt faces. Now crank the piss out of the bolt causing the plates to press the metal back to normal. Good luck. BTW is your avatar the Polish eagle?

Right on the Avatar :)

I was thinking about drilling out the hole and doing that, but it turns out that my problem is compounded and the possibly misshaped hole is the lesser part :( The leaf pack I have on that side is tweaked and that's what's causing the lean not the locking of the pack: I had the wheel off and the whole thing on jackstands and it seemed to be rotating fine.... So back to the drawing board....

Kejtar

Back