• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveline crooked?

rckclmbr

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i was trying to find my o2 sensor to replace it and i started looking at stuff under the jeep the drive shaft doesn't go exactly perpendicular to the rear axle. its noticably off my 10 or so degrees. Is it supposed to be like this? i dont think it is but i thought i would check? any one have any solutions to this problem???

I just did some transfercase work myself.

Have you changed the tranny mount recently?

When I was putting my tranny mount I put it on rotated 180 from the way it should be. Couldn't get the bolts to align with the crossmember. I started to wrestle with everything until I realized what was wrong. Rotated the mount and everything lined up.

Maybe your moung is backwards and the transfercase/tranny were forced crooked to re-assemble?

Just an idea... It seems like this would cause more problems but makes sense to me. I would have had to push the transfercase/tranny to the passenger side to lign everything up with the mount oriented wrong.

Good luck

we havn't pulled the mounts or anything on it but i did put a t case drop on it. when we were putting it on it was a PINA to get it so line up straight. It took my friend pushing on the axle with his hands and his feet on the crossmember to get it to come close to lining up. Even then we were only able to get 3 bolts in. prob not the safest thing to do but i took it over some crazy stuff that next week and its been 500 miles on it and its still good.

349632-SSC_0003.JPG

yea so i thought it should be in the center? at not 3 inches off to the side

how could i tell if its in backwards? and markings that would let me know which way it is supposed to be facing? cause for all i know is that it has never been off.

o and is it bad that i have been driving it? highway speeds???

Double that on a reversed cross member. It's definitely been taken off, and put on backwards.

And if it's bolted up that way, at least one of the mounts is probably broken.

Back