• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Banks header

R

roke40

How much of a PITA is a header install. I've got a '98 with 4.0 and automatic. The exhaust is looking pretty bad so it's time to replace it. While I'm doing it I figured if its not too hard to do the header install and high flow cat.

It is a PITA, but the banks header is worth it. You have to take the intake off to get the header out, but you should be able to so it in a day, easy. When I did mine I put and intake off of the 99 and up 4.0 at the same time. The combo didn't do a whole lot for off the line torque, but it comes alive at 2000 rpm and up.

Dan

There is nothing really special about it, just look at the right side of the engine and say "all that has to come off". Its just smalll things over and over and over. Go ahead and do everything that needs to/should be done on that side of the engine like replacing injector Orings. If youre going to wrap the headers up, do it before you install them because it will be a nightmare doing it later.
Also, there is a specific sequence to tightening the manifold bolts.

Yeah forgot about the tightening sequence. If you don't have a factory service manual, get. It's one of the most valueable tools you'll ever buy for your XJ.

Dan

Thanks guys. I remember reading about it before but I can't remember--what is the benefit of using the 99 up intake?

The shape of the intake runners on the 99 up intakes are much smoother and rounded rather than squared off corners. This is just a theory, but if the speed of the air is moving faster, it is breathing better and with less effort, and is more effecient. Or maybe it packs more air in there like a compressor???heheh.

I couldn't honestly tell you what made a difference as I changed both manifolds at the same time, but I'm satisfied with the results.

Dan

Back