• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chopping rear 1/4

guess we should wear a helmet when opening the hatch, eh? :viking:

jeepinxj05 said:
in doing this with my unibody xj, am i gonna have to support everything somehow since the hatch (main support for unibody) will no longer be there? if so, how can i do this cheaply?

1st - The hatch is NOT a support structure.
2nd - You should be asking how to do it correctlly, not cheaply. It is NOT cheap.

Rev

about the main support, i've read in numerous threads that it is. plus, when i'm flexing along with all xj owners, why is it impossible to close an opened rear hatch?? it's because the unibody torques more with it opened than closed... i'm pretty sure it is the support, but if i am wrong, don't just criticize my original thought, instead correct me

I'm lost........
This??
100_2495.jpg

Yes the body will flex with the hatch open, or closed for that matter. If you remove any of the roof, or the pillers supporting it, you will need to replace that structure somewhere else.

Rev

jeepinxj05 said:
about the main support, i've read in numerous threads that it is.

Got links?

plus, when i'm flexing along with all xj owners, why is it impossible to close an opened rear hatch??

The chassis flexes weather the hatch is opened or closed.

it's because the unibody torques more with it opened than closed...

No it doesn't, it's just easier to open it than close it.

i'm pretty sure it is the support,

No it isn't.

but if i am wrong, don't just criticize my original thought,

Who criticized you?

instead correct me

Consider yourself corrected. :D

My hatch has cracks like a team of roofers. Gorrilla Glue worked for awhile.

It has new struts, and my favorite stickers on the glass... Plus the glass got glued in several trails ago... so it's structural now too :(

What should I do?

Cage it really well before you start chopping... and not some bolt in deal from a mass manufacturer... if you can weld, which I'm hoping if you're talking about chopping cargo area, weld in yourself a cage that has more crossmembers than you would EVER think you would need then tie your cage into the exoskeleton that you'll also be making, along with the unibody stiffeners and front and rear bumpers... is chopping starting to sound a little more expensive than you were expecting? If you want a rear open cargo area, buy an Unlimited

The hatch, especially the newer steel ones, add some rigidity, but are not technically structural. Jeep does take into consideration any stationary glass for its calculations for panel rigidity, though.

LilRedRover said:
Cage it really well before you start chopping... and not some bolt in deal from a mass manufacturer... if you can weld, which I'm hoping if you're talking about chopping cargo area, weld in yourself a cage that has more crossmembers than you would EVER think you would need then tie your cage into the exoskeleton that you'll also be making, along with the unibody stiffeners and front and rear bumpers... is chopping starting to sound a little more expensive than you were expecting? If you want a rear open cargo area, buy an Unlimited

:rolleyes:

Rev

Back