• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

idler pulley

jeepnuts311

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,

i have had a squeaky idler pulley off and on for a while and it used to be quiet for a month or two and then squeal until i sprayed some lube on it, but then it got to squealing almost all the time and its annoying as crap.

i replaced the idler pulley the other day for $18 and it came with the pulley and a sealed bearing, the whole unit, so i swapped them.

the thing squeals sometimes still. i know it is the idler pulley because it will shut up if i spray it with WD40, but only for about 50 miles or so.

is it possible that i tightened the belt too much, or what else could cause this screamin demon?

-tim

i'm not sure about your question, i believe i've got the same squeal

did you torque the idler pulley bolt? or did you just hand tighten it?? i believe, iirc, the torque for that bolt is like 30 or 35 lb. ft.

Sounds like you've got a belt squeal, not just the idler bearing. Spray the belt itself while it's running a little bit, both sides, but just a quick shot, don't soak the belt. See if the noise goes away.

Fred85 said:
i'm not sure about your question, i believe i've got the same squeal

did you torque the idler pulley bolt? or did you just hand tighten it?? i believe, iirc, the torque for that bolt is like 30 or 35 lb. ft.

i torqued it pretty good, i didnt use a torque wrench but it was tight as i could get it, and i double checked after i drove it.

anony91xj said:
Sounds like you've got a belt squeal, not just the idler bearing. Spray the belt itself while it's running a little bit, both sides, but just a quick shot, don't soak the belt. See if the noise goes away.

ill try that, but i mentioned that i had sprayed the idler bearing and it was quiet after i sprayed it. what should i spray on the belt?

-tim

Spraying a bearing with WD40 is a BAD idea. It will dissolve the grease and will shorten the bearing's life greatly.

Mikel said:
Spraying a bearing with WD40 is a BAD idea. It will dissolve the grease and will shorten the bearing's life greatly.

good thing i didnt spray the new bearing, just the old one. for right now im just hoping the new one will get broken in or something.

thanks for that tip, too. i will keep that in mind. i also used 90 weight gear oil and used a curved syringe from the dentist to get the gear oil into the bearing, that worked a lot better than the wd40.

-tim

Back