• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

take my T case drop off or not ???

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 2001 cherokee with 6" lift with a t-case drop.
ok well i just bought a P.O.R.C HD SYE for 184.99 and im gonna use my FRONT shaft out of my 89 which is in my driveway. but my question is:
should i take off the 1" T-case drop ???

Yes. The TC drop reduces ground clearance, puts stress on the exhaust, and is not needed with the SYE kit. You will most likely need to shim up the rear axle a little to get the right driveline angles, but that should be part of the job anyways.

generalleexj said:
shims are one of the things that im not too familiar with, could someone please explain it to me ? thanks

Shims are wedges made of either aluminum or steel that are put between the leaf spring and the spring perch to adjust your pinion up. They turn the entire axle up whatever degree the shim is. Shim accordingly. Big part in back. :)

KyS

generalleexj said:
oh that sounds easy, but how do i know which sizes to use ? and can i get them at any auto parts store ?? i have a 6" lift and ive NEVER installed or used shims

Can't get them in a autoparts store unless they order them. Just have to ask in the store. Most online places have them. RE, Rusty's, Jeepin'.com........You're doing a SYE right? As far as what degree to get, don't know. Maybe 2 or 3 degrees, but that's a guess.

I agree with everyone esle. tc drops should be removed as soon as SYEs are installed.

jeepinxj01 said:
Shims are wedges made of either aluminum or steel that are put between the leaf spring and the spring perch to adjust your pinion up. They turn the entire axle up whatever degree the shim is. Shim accordingly. Big part in back. :)

KyS

You got that in stereo.

:banghead:

Also it is best if you get the steel shims that attach to the spring pack with the center pin. The alum. ones that float between the two will break and move around....

To measure the angles (pinion must equal drive shaft) get a cheap angle finder at Sears, about $7. Install the SYE and front shaft, measure the shaft angle andd measure the angle of the pinion (see Tom Woods Drive shaft tech info). Add shims as needed, usually 3-6 degrees depending on lift so thereis NO angle between the shaft in pinion yoke.

John

Back