• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sye & or custom drive shaft

mudrat

NAXJA Forum User
i'm planning to lift my 93 xj with the 6.5 rough country and was wondering if i need a sye or can i go with the yj yoke and be safe.also will i need a custom driveshaft with that much lift?i have a friend with a 89 xj and the rough country 4.5" and 35's with no sye or longer driveshaft and no problems just wondering if 2 more inches is going to cause problems.thanks for any experienced advice

I'm going to chim in on this one, all you every read is you need to do a SYE or a H&T if you lift your rig. The whole idea is that your angles are to steep, well as XJ owners we don't really lift our rigs that much not compared to what the chevy and ford guys are doing. I stop off at a custom DS builder in my area to get a idea on what it would cost to get a SYE now mind you I'm only at 5" of lift (so take that in to account) he said that all I didn't really need to go that way, the reason the angle was a sharp as it was is that the shaft is to short pulling it off the output shaft. So he suggested getting the YJ short shaft and getting a longer DS. I'm going to do this in the next month or so, now if it doesn't work he's going to take the cost of doing this off the SYE install. OK now that I've pulled the pin, there is nothing wrong with SYE it's not a waste of money but this way is a lot cheaper.

mudrat said:
that yj yake should be a simble bolt on right , or will i have to crack the transfer case open to install?
It doesnt "bolt" on,its the same "slip" yoke as an XJ but about 1/4" longer and has more clearance for the u-joint ears.

RCP Phx said:
It doesnt "bolt" on,its the same "slip" yoke as an XJ but about 1/4" longer and has more clearance for the u-joint ears.
X2

Back