• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

235/75's or 30x9.5's

CantonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Are there any clearance issues with running 30x9.5's with stock suspension? Their diameter seems to be within a half-inch of the 235/75's I have now with just a slightly wider section width.

Thanks for any advice and thoughts.

Dave

If you take it off road you won't be able to disconnect and thats about it, *provided* your springs are in good shape and not sagged in the back.

RichP said:
If you take it off road you won't be able to disconnect and thats about it, *provided* your springs are in good shape and not sagged in the back.

Disconnect? Pardon my n00bness and please explain.

Springs are okay and I have coil-overs in back.

The front sway bar, allows the front axle to flex more, more droop on one side means generally more stuffing the tire on the other... it's that big steel bar that goes across under the radiator and connects to the front axle on both sides. Most of us replace the stock connectors with JKS quicker disconnects. I ran 30's on my 98 for about a week with no problems even on some of the powerline and woods roads then went back to my LT235 AT/KO BFG's.

Thanks for the info Rich! Can you tell me why you went back to 235's over the 30's? My offroading is mostly relegated to fishing/camping trails with my kids, pretty tame stuff.

No real reason other than I picked up 4 new LT235/75R15 BFG AT/KO's for $25 each, they still had the stickers on them. The 30's went on my daughters TJ.

I have a question related to the same tire. Is there any reason why the BFG A.T. T/A KO LT 235's wouldn't work with the stock wheels/suspension? The person i talked to at a store gave me some song and dance about not wanting to give customers the had P series tires LT's (light truck?) unless they specifically requested them. Thanks for being patient with my tire noobness :). I don't mind a louder ride...i'm thinking that was all they were getting at.

p.s. They're $117 each on base...that sounded ok to me (i've seen them much higher).

John

Thank for getting right back to me. I think that's what the woman i spoke to was trying to say...she just came off a little alarmist for some reason. Thanks for your time.

John

I believe some stores like wally world won't put on but the same size and type of tire maybe what she meant. The 235's are about 28.8 in diameter and the 30's not sure, maybe BFG website has the exacts but with mild offroading these will fit with stock shocks, yes. I agree with Rich on the LT rating, I tow and beatup on my tires, so it's a no brainer. And $117 for a 235 or a 30x9.50 in the T/A? I seen cheaper, so shop them and don't expect spectacular mud performance from them. Good luck!

Just had 30 inch BFG AT KO installed at BJs Wholesale Club in NJ for 130 each + tax and locals shops wanted 167 + mount and balance. How did you pay 50 each in NH? Sure they were not long trails?

No they are BFG's.... new....they were on sale....they only had eight left in stock,,,,wish I had more money at the time, I would have taken all of them.
I went back the next day and they were gone.

i run 30x9.5 on my stock jeep and i do not rub... whatso ever

Back