• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One thing leads to another....

P

Poppinblock

So, this last weekend I was trying (futily) to install a new thermostat and was stymied when I couldn't find the radiator drain plug. If any of you saw my last post I will take your advice to just use the lower water pump hose to drain the system.

In the process of searching and preparing for draining and flushing, I loosened the radiator drain plug, and I forgot to tighten it back again.

Needless to say, I found out a little down the road why people were pointing at my jeep and snickering when the "check gauges" light came on and my heat was way up.

When I popped the hood, there was coolant over everything near the radiator cap, including my K&N cone filter, which I got in part so I wouldn't have to clean it. I figure everthing else near can just be wiped off, (if I am wrong please tell me).

I have had the filter on for less than a year so it's no where near time to clean it, given normal use, but I am debating whether I should now that it has been sprayed with coolant. Any advice? It's appreciated in advance.

Oops,

correction to the original, when I said I didn't tighten the radiator drain plug, I meant the radiator cap

Clean it! I have first hand experience on how coolant can thin out oil.
Better safe than sorry and it is cheap/easy to do.
If you don't have one, Autozone stocks the K&N recharging kits for less than $10.

Back