• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sputtering Problem (sorta long)

UNCC_99XJ

Twisted Up
NAXJA Member
First the basics, yes I did search, 99 4.0, AW4, NP242, just hit 77K.

About a month ago my CEL came on and threw the code P0138, or in laymans terms, o2 sensor #2 voltage too high. I happened to be at my dads house at the time, so I hooked his diagnostic machine up to it and did a DRO, and everything was in spec and looked healthy, and the engine never missed a beat, it ran perfectly. So I turned the light off and went on about my business, and it's stayed off untill this past Saturday.

I was 4 hours away from home at the beach, starting off my spring break, when i'm driving down the road and the light comes back on again. The nearest auto chain, an autozone was 20 miles away. I drove it to that autozone with no problems, and it was the same code again. So I figured, once again, it flipped out shortly, but was back to normal again and i'll turn the light back off when I get home. But as i'm driving down the highway on the way back it starts randomly shifting gears, with no certain pattern. I pulled off the road, let it cool off for about an hour, and then managed to limp it back to the beach house. The next day I drove it all day around the town we were in, and even onto the beach, no problems at all. Shifted in and out of gear just fine. I ended up pulling it home on a trailer with a friends V8 Silverado, just to be safe.

So tonight I'm working on it, hooked my dads diagnostic machine up to it again, everything is still in spec, only this time, the P0138 code is on there, as well as a code for the TPS (can't recall the exact code right this moment). So I cleared the history and turned the light off and it stayed off. I took it out and drove it and had m dad watch the specs on the diagnostic machine while were driving and everything was looking just great. The only catch was it was randomly sputtering while driving down the road. However, while sputtering it didn't throw any codes what so ever. Brought it back to my dads shop and were watching the specs on it and still couldn't see anything wrong, untill out of nowhere, while sitting in his shop, tranny in park, the CEL comes back on again. The code is P0700, or Trans Fault. I go to look up the trans fault in the transmission scanner portion of his diagnostic machine, and it tells me to refer to my Service Manual. When looking in there, it turns out you have to have a special scanner to pull these codes off of the AW4.

Right now the light is off, stayed off, and it drove just great on the 20 mile ride back to my house from my dads.

Can anybody at all make any sense of how these might be related??? Its not running rich or lean or anything, nor is it idleing bad. It's really starting to irritate me. Not to mention my regulator in the pass. window decided to let go friday after I drove 4 hours to get to the beach, so i was already in a great mood to begin with....never mind my vacation got cut short by about 4 days.

from past experience i know that if your tps isn't functioning properly your transmission will not shift worth a darn. the transmission uses the tps to tell it when exactly to shift. i had a similar issue on my 89 renix jeep i replaced the tps and it worked fine. i havent had a problem with it on my 97 obdII jeep, but i do get the p0138 code. With that one i have found that if i drive around on it long enough the computer realises the fault and works without the system in a "safe" mode and it drives fine. the minute the computer gets reset though i have stalling issues until the light comes back on and it goes through a few more cycles.

Interesting....Yeah i've seen the TPS on other vehicles do exactly as you mentioned, but why all of a sudden? I had NO warning before is started shifting whenever it wanted to. And I drove it back from my dads last night and it was fine, and i've been all over town today trying to get it to act up again and it still just fine and dandy. Im gonna go ahead and replace the o2 sensor mainly because thats the 2nd time that code has come up recently, and I can get it really cheap, so im not really gonna be out much money, and what can it really hurt? Might actually bring my gas milage back up to the 16-17 range.

Back