• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I do a rough front end alignment?

klonestar

NAXJA Forum User
I've been told more than once that there is a way to measure the front tires and do a home version of a front end alignment. I just want to get it somewhat close to check for other issues right now.

Where/how do I take the measurements? The front tires do have identical tread ware if that matters.

Thanks,
Ken

find go-jeep's site, he has a fairly detailed write up

I have it bookmarked at home, but that won't help you for another 8 hours

Question?

Going down the road at 50mph or so the front end wants to "slightly" wander (not drastic but noticable and more so when going over a bump or dip) and crossing RR tracks (as an example) it feels like it wants to turn and follow the tracks. (again only slightly)

What front end components should I be looking at that will cause this? (besides toe in/out which I will check)

A little history: 90' xj Laredo which was sorely neglected. Have replaced front shocks, brake pads, and outer ujoints (which were completely seized and missing most roller bearings due to rust and crumbling) I think only one out of eight sides of ujoints still turned and it only had half the bearings left! And replaced steering stabalizer which had bled out long ago.

When I bought it the guy told me it wouldnt go over 25mph without DW! No wonder!!!!

edited: Is stock w/140k and 235/75 15's.

No more DW now but still not right due to above issues.

Thanks,
Ken

A worn track bar will allow the steering to wander.

Ok everyone Im going to check all of this out and will not be at all surprised to find out I have more worn out parts up front not to mention I likely need full bushing replacements as there is some dry rot, cracking, etc....

On that note...what smaller parts am I better off replacing in lieu of fighting with the bushings? AND...if/when replacing various parts up front what can I replace with non stock items as in the future I will do a lift but not for a while. I mean if I can use a new adjustable (whatever) now that will work with stock set up for now and be able to use with say a 4" lift later for example? I may start with a 2 1/2" to 3" lift initially but again, not for a while.

Right now I need to concetrate on just getting the jeep in good running order. Hope to start adding protection and retrieval components in the mean time so will be ready for lift later. (following advice in these forums) Gonna take it slow and try to do it right.

Thanks again,
Ken

One thing I would change in the recommendation is where to make the measurement. It's not always dependable to measure from the inside of the tires, since tires can vary a little. It's better than nothing, but if possible, you might try doing what the alignment shops did before the electronic age. They used a special marker with a spring loaded point, but you can make your own by simply sticking a nail or something into a block of wood, snipping off the head and putting a point on it. Now jack up each wheel enough so it turns, and while rotating the wheel, put some chalk on the tread. It doesn't matter where on the width of the tire you do this. Then with the block resting on the floor, turn the wheel and move the block in so that the nail scores a sharp line in the chalk. You now have a pair of nice sharply defined lines on the tires, by which you can measure very accurately.

Back