• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 interior/FI/tranny in an 86

RCC_SaMiaM

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought an 86 Chrokee with 87 motor, tranny (manual), tcase and axles. I am picking up a wrecked 2000 Cherokee and want to swap all of the interior over to the 86, including dash. Will this be direct replacement? I figure it won't be, but I can make anything work so I was just wondering.

Also, I want to swap the 2000 tranny (auto) as well as all the FI stuff over to the 86. The motor and tranny in the 86 are out of an 87. Up until the other day I thought my only problem would be the crank position sensor which we can fix, but someone told me the intake on the 2000 won't fit the 87 4.0. If it doesn't fit, can I swap heads too? Or would I be better off rebuilding the motor out of the 2000 and just dropping it in the 86? I want to swap the dash since I will be using all wiring out of the 2000 anyways.

I am new to Jeeps so I don't know a whole lot about them. Thanks for any help.

Well I have an 86 with no interior and a wrecked 2000 with all perfect interior. The 86 has 4.56s, arbs & compressor, agr steering box, 4" lift and alot of other offroad stuff. It was stripped to put a full cage and to rhino line, but I don't want to rhino line the interior now. I am fully capable of making the interior work if it isn't a match. Really I only need seats, carpet, etc. Seats are a breeze. Mainly wondering about paneling and trim. If I can't make it work I will just make my own panels out of aluminum.

I would like to know if the dash is a direct replacement, if you install the dash of the 2000 in the 1986, please do a write up or post pics.
If it isn't that hard, I would give it a try.

I will be posting a "how to" on <URL REMOVED> on everything I do to this jeep. Bumpers, sliders, full cage, roof rack, coilspring rear, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know anything about an 87 motor and 2000 motor? I am getting mixed opinions on weather or not the intakes will swap on them. If they can swap it looks like there shouldn't be any problems with swapping all the FI and computer stuff over to the 87 motor.

Back