• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Deal of the Century... at least to me, but help!

cjwalkeriii

NAXJA Forum User
So I went to a u pull it yard today and found A old jeep Pioneer cherokee. Anyhow, I got a set of front tow hooks and brackets and a stock rear tire carrier for a whopping 30 bucks. Anyhow, as I am looking into this tire carrier, what is the trick to reinforcing it well enoughit can handle a 31' tire. Seems kinda flimsy to me but there has to be a solution... My other idea is to buy a aftermarket bumper and brace into that opposed to the stock... Any suggestions would be great.. thanks

there was a little bracket on the inside of the quarter panel that reinforces the sheet metal and attaches to the tire carrier. Go back to the yard and find that piece. It should be behind the interior trim on the quarter panel.

It more than just 1 piece!

I actually got that piece, and the one under the bumper... SOme reason it still just dosent look strong enough... Guess I will find out

cjwalkeriii said:
anyone else got any input?
Depends on which one it is. I have been running the stock carrier for three years With a least a 32" tire.. For the last year I have ran a 36" Irok with no problems. All I did was add some hardend washers to the bottom of the hinge, where the carrier wants to slip past the torx bolt, and make sure it is adjusted, the latch closes tight and all of the mounting bolts are Tight. Sorry I don't hav a better pic right now-
Reiterdec3rd2005056.jpg

Thanks .. Last question. Will a 31" tire bolt right up to it or do you have to extend the studs on the carrier? Thanks again

Depends on the back spacing. The only one I had problems with was when I had a 2.5" reverse center wheel. Its not really a big deal to knock out the factory studs and put new ones in anyway.

Back