• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Searchers steering install...

mack

NAXJA Forum User
Well, after a bit of shopping around, i went with this HD steering setup for www.searchers4wd.com because i feel it was the best bang for the buck!, after talking to Phil over there,(what a heck of a guy) the parts were on the way.
35s007.jpg

the kit came with 1.5" tierod, 1.5" draglink, 3/4" grade8 hardware, and the joints.
First i had to go and get a 3/4" drill bit, but the rest of this only needs your everyday handtools.
start by removing the old junk.
35s011.jpg

next you want to start the drilling, the easy way is to remove the pitman are and use a drillpress, don't forget to mark the arm so it can go back on in the same spot.
35s012.jpg

now just bolt it in! sounds easy...it is.
35s026.jpg

35s021.jpg

35s024.jpg

now off it get an alignment.
i'll report more after the alignment, as far as bumpsteer, noise, ect..ect.

outstanding. Ive been waiting to hear your reports on that setup. waiting to reports of the bumpsteer. Do you think that the bend in the drag link will comprimise any strength?
Also what backspacing you runnin on those rims?

i really doubt the bent will comprimise any strength at all, this stuff is seems very heavy duty, as for the rims i have 4" backspaceing, any less and it maybe getting close to the bolt, i'll know more tomarrow on how it will work on the street.
westsacxj said:
outstanding. Ive been waiting to hear your reports on that setup. waiting to reports of the bumpsteer. Do you think that the bend in the drag link will comprimise any strength?
Also what backspacing you runnin on those rims?

i really want to, would drilling it hurt the threads? do they make locknuts that big?
Jes said:
I would double nut those bolts or cross drill them and install a cotter pin.

mack said:
i really want to, would drilling it hurt the threads? do they make locknuts that big?

Yes, they make metal locknuts that big but there still would be nothing keeping them from falling off.
Cross drilling shouldn't mess up the threads, especially if you chase the threads with a die afterwards.

you think i could get away with the dubble nut?
Jes said:
Yes, they make metal locknuts that big but there still would be nothing keeping them from falling off.
Cross drilling shouldn't mess up the threads, especially if you chase the threads with a die afterwards.

I am always a fan of the double nut ;) ... Don't see why a lockwasher and double nut wouldn't work fine

I would suggest getting some safety washers for the rod ends as well. That way if the rod end came loosed and fragged apart itm the links would still be connected to the bolts to retain some sense of control. You may want to check out how much droop you will be limited to with the rod end at the pitman arm. I wonder how many more degrees beofre it bottoms out. Looks good though. :sunshine:

-Mike

MIXJ said:
is there anywhere to mount a steering stablizer on that setup? I was just looking, thanks

In the first pic there appers to be a plate and 2 u-bolts. I would assume that would be a bolt on stabilizer mount for the draglink. HTH.
:viking:
-Mike

you got it..good eye.
i'm going to be looking in to making it a bit more safe with the washers or cotter pins.
thanks Ranger for the link.
Mike L said:
In the first pic there appers to be a plate and 2 u-bolts. I would assume that would be a bolt on stabilizer mount for the draglink. HTH.
:viking:
-Mike

mack said:
you got it..good eye.
i'm going to be looking in to making it a bit more safe with the washers or cotter pins.
thanks Ranger for the link.

Washers are needed regardless of the cotter pins..................

are you saying just put a big washer under the nut?
Mike L said:
Washers are needed regardless of the cotter pins..................

If you don't get the "safety washers", yes you can just use a large flat washer. It would prevent the heim body from coming off the bolt if the heim fragged.

thanks guy's, i'll be ordering a set of those, how often do heims fail?

misalign_01.jpg

rustys has some for there heim setups 4.00 ,3/4 heims- the mad4wd ones look better for 4.00 apeice

someone already pointed it out...but your pitman heim looks to be maxed out at static height...saw this on the same kit on another XJ here in town...looked scary:shocked:

Back