• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BrettM's Manualmatic shifter

CartsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So does anybody have this new "joystick" in there ride, yet? I've been scoping it out and thinking that the ability to shift" just like a manual would be a sweet opinion. If you do have one, how quick does it shift, the delay time? And just how does it operate? do you throw the selector in D and flip a switch and start shifting to your hearts content, then flip the switch back and the level becomes dead? or do you always have to becareful not to hit the level while driving normally? I have two labs that like to play musical chairs and i could just see me driving down the road at 60 and then the tranny getting thrown into 1st.

The way I understand Brett's shifter is that as long as the switch is in auto, you dont have to worry about the shifter. The old one had it as a dial, so yeah, obviously not an issue. email him, he is pretty good about answering questions about his shifter.

When you shift, the electronics are basically instant, but there is a natural slight delay to the tranny, maybe 1/4 or 1/2 second.

When the toggle to select auto or manual is in the auto position it doesn't matter at all where the joystick is at, so no worries for you there.

And just how does it operate? do you throw the selector in D and flip a switch and start shifting to your hearts content, then flip the switch back and the level becomes dead?
correct

and yes, I answer my email pretty frequently: [email protected]

How much for the joystick set up?

So i am really liking this idea and i have already told all my friends about it and got them excited too.party1: Just have a few little questions, all there is is a joystick that shifts the gears and an auto to manual switch and a torque converter on off switch? And you would have to make sure the torque converter is unlocked before you come to a stop right? Pretty sure this will be the next mod i get for my jeep, i can't wait!!!:clap:

Question;
Just curious if theres like a shift gate in there, like a manual trans, do you have to return to center when shifting from say 1-3?

creeperjeep said:
Question;
Just curious if theres like a shift gate in there, like a manual trans, do you have to return to center when shifting from say 1-3?
from 1 to 3, yes. from 2 to 4, yes.

it really is an H pattern, so 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 are straight shots vertically, but other combinations will have to go through the middle.

I have toyed with the idea of taking the rotary switch version and mounting it to the side of the console with some kind of shifter handle on it. I think the knob rotates too far for that to work though.

Motornoggin said:
I have toyed with the idea of taking the rotary switch version and mounting it to the side of the console with some kind of shifter handle on it. I think the knob rotates too far for that to work though.
it's been done, I was emailed this by a NAXJA user:

Just thought Id share how I mounted my shifter. The box is from Radio
shack and I just made the shift rod out of some 3/16" steel rod. The
ball is a cabinet drawer handle that is JB welded to the rod. I indexed
the shift knob that comes with your kit to fit the 3/16 rod and clued it
on. Of course this is very low buck idea but it really works GREAT. The
first gear position is the pic with the ball of the handle facing the
back of the Jeep the next pic is third gear position which is about 10 o
clock 4th gear is opposite position of 1st and the auto mode is pointing
at the floor which I really like because there is almost no way for it
to get knocked out of auto mode. I was going to post this on NAXJA but I
don't have a good host site for pics yet. Anyway just thought I would
share another idea, and thanks for a great product.

with this picture and a few others:

I think I'd mount it a little different, but it's a good idea to learn from.

Well we are picking up a rolled low mile MJ to use the drive train in my sons sidekick and this will fit the bill for easy shifter conversion....the hard part will be massaging the firewall to fit the 4.0.will be talkin to ya soon

What if you already have one of the rotary stlye. Is there going to be an upgrade? I like the up/down push button idea on the shift shaft.

doese it hold as long as you want? i know in 1-2 it red lines 1 and goes to 2 and then im off the gas and waiting for a down shift. another question, with the torque converter locked can you use your brake to stop on a up hill? or do you have to have some good timing with the switch? these are just problems i think there might be but thats all i can think of. i really like that joy-stick, looks really fun.

how long doese it take for you to put a kit together? or is it in stock?

Back