• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Hitch Install

xjchris98

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to get a rear hitch for my 98, mostly just for a good recovery point. The local "you pull it" junkyard has like 10 Cherokees with hitches on them. I planned on just pulling a used hitch instead of paying the 175$ at a dealer for a new one. Does anyone know if theres any kind of special bolts to get the old one off? Also, to install it on my jeep, what will I need? Thanks in advance.

When I did mine all I got was the nut plates. This is a square peice of metal that the bolt drops through and prevents it from turning while you screw on the nut. I would suggest going to the dealer and buying the nut strips. This is a metal strip that goes inside the frame and the bolt screws into it. then just find the right bolts at a local hardware. Make sure they are Grade 8 too. This will be way easier than the way I did it.

You can get a new hidden hitch or drawtight for about $110 is that changes your mind.

Anyway on to your question, there a nut strips inside the frame rail that you should take. They are strips of metal with nuts welded to them. It makes the install much easier.

Good luck
K

My buddy just put one on his TJ and was tellin me about how he had to fish the bolt up through a tiny A$$ hole. Can I just take the rear bumper off and get to the back of the uni-body rails, or do will I too have to fish the bolts through a tiny A$$ hole? thanks!

Lie down on the floor, pick up a handfull of dirt, drop it into your eyes and open mouth. Next, drop a wrench on your face. Fun? I have installed an XJ hitch both with the nut strip and the fishing method, I will never install another without nutstrips.

All XJ's, 1984-2001, have the same holes in the frame for a hitch. Any XJ hitch will fit any XJ. You can fish the bolts into the frame with the bumper on or off. I use the factory system of nut strips (frame reinforcements). You have to remove the bumper to install the nut strips but, it is still 100% easier to do than fishing the bolts. On 1997 and newer I think the passenger side nutstrip is already installed from the factory.

Go to the Dealership or an online JEEP parts dealership and get some frame reinforcements (item #2) one left and one right (if needed), part numbers 52001174 (Right) and 52001175 (Left).

standard.jpg

Be carefull Tim.
For Sale Posts In This Catagory Will Be Deleted
There is a for sale and wanted forum. Posts of that nature in this forum will be deleted with out notice or warning.

I found someone selling a hitch local via craigslist but forgot to get the nutstrips so I called my local deal and they quoted me $27 each. There was no way I was spending $60 for a piece of flat bar with nuts welded to it. Lucky for me I had 8 brand new 1/2" bolts and nuts lying around.

What I did was cut 4 pieces of flat bar 2 for each side about 3" long and welded the nuts to them. I then guided them to the back holes that lined up with my hitch using a coat hanger with a L bent on the end. When they were lined up I threaded the bolt on and tightened them up. The piece of flat bar prevent the nuts from turning. For the other 2 holes closest to the bumper I was able to get a wrench so I didnt need the flatbar.

Overall if I was to do this again I would do it the same way it was easy to get the flatbar to the holes and within an hour I had the hitch on. The hardest part about this was putting the bumper on those top bolts are a major PITA.

TORX

katarn444 said:
You can get a new hidden hitch or drawtight for about $110 is that changes your mind.

I second the HiddenHitch. You can get it at etrailer.com and it comes with everything you need to install it. What's really nice is it tucks up underneath with only the 2" reciever poking out under the bumper.

the hidden hitch sounds like the way i want to go. anyone know if the hitch will work okay with the fuel tank skid?

Checked in the picture section and didnt see anything. Does anyone have a picture of this hidden hitch attached to an xj? Sounds nice.

I highly recommend getting the nut strips and doing the job right. Most if not all XJs have the passenger side strip already to bolt the exhaust hanger. I usually get the nut strips at the wrecking yard. Sometimes, if they were installed at the factory, they have a rivet holding them in place. Take a cordless drill or a hammer and cold chisel to remove the rivet. Do a search on the forum and you will find the size of the bolts needed.

The yards around here sell used hitches for about $25. A little more if it is really nice. The OEM hitch will definitely work with the OEM gas tank skidplate. Other combinations may or may not work. The OEM hitch can be identified by a welded-on bracket (box) to the left of the receiver that can hold a 7-pin Bargeman connector. I don't think any aftermarket brands have that bracket.

Thats my experience, YMMV.

$17.44 ea from MakeItMopar.com

The part numbers are 52001174 & 52001175.

Dave

Back