• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion angle finally set?

2jeepowner

NAXJA Forum User
I am working on a ford 8.8 swap into a 1988 XJ. I currently run a 3 inch lift and I have a question about my pinion angle. I have the shock mounts fabbed up, the spring perches set in place and the vehicle on its own weight. I have been playing with the pinion angle and I have managed to get both the t-case and the rear diffy output at 7*. Is that too steep of an angle or do I have this about right? I am running a stock driveshaft with 2 u joints (non cv).
Thanks guys

If I remember right HALEYES set his at 10*. He has not had any problems. You may want to PM him to be sure. JIM.

You start by having the pinion set at the same angle ( parallel ) as the output shaft on the transfercase. Then tilt the pinion 3* lower like factory so that when under toque which lifts the pinion, they end up parallel. This is for a non SYE setup only, as in stock. Tried running them parallel as the books tell you but got vibes every time under throttle so make sure you set it as above.

ponyracer1 said:
How do you do it for a SYE setup?
Without an SYE: pinion is parallel with transfercase under torque.
With an SYE: pinion is pointed directly at the transfercase under torque.

Torque will rotate the pinion up, so the consensus seems to be to aim the pinion about 3 degrees lower than where you want it under torque.

Back