• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another long arm question

I would wonder why?Cost is higher,more bind,more noise!

More bind? Please explain. I see no problems, however, I think they will transmit more road noise and jolt into the cab because you are eliminating any rubber isolation between your axle and the body. A framed vehicle is not as much problem, the body mounts soak up some, but for uni-body, nothing to soak it up. If you are doing 'Y' shaped long arms with the uppers mounted to the long lower arms, there is no need for a JJ at the axle. The upper arm mounted keep the lower arm from moving in relation to the axle. As the axle twists (during articulation) the arms twist at the frame mount, and maybe a little at the axle, but the stock rubber bushings are compliant enough to not restrict movement or create bind. Mine will be built with one upper arm mounted with small RE sepherical joints at both ends, to a longer lower arm with a stock rubber bushing at the axle end and large RE joints at the frame end. To me, this is the way to go.

JMHO,
Steve

JJ's cannot move fore and aft,thats one direction of bind with long arms.Use rubber bushings everywhere but at the frame end to keep bind to a minimum!

He's got a point there. JJ's on the axle end of radius arms will do nothing for you.

Back