• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Longer 8.25 diff cover bolts

bshaw

NAXJA Forum User
It seems as though I'm having a dilemma with trying to find the correct size bolt for my diff cover. I recently put on a diff skid and bought some longer bolts that I thought would work (broke one off in the diff, then a busted off an easy out inside that), but I relized they were too long after putting them all in. Plus after one use with the longer bolts that I got, they would not go back in for a second time. So I bought some shorter bolts to use (which were to small because of the guard) and they will not screw in either. At this point I thought that all the threads in every bolt hole in the diff was fubar'd, at which point I freaked out with some choice words. After calming down a bit, I tried an OEM bolt and it screwed in fine to every hole. So my questions. Are the OEM bolts tapered? Can anyone give me some specific measurements for bolts on what they use with a diff guard (half inch ring around the pumpkin)? Suggestions, comments on the TOPIC please? Thanks ahead of time!

did you take the OEM bolts to the hardware and see if they thread into a nut?
I'f they're tapered then they should be loose with the nut on the end and tight with the nut towards the head.
might want to see if you can visit a Fastenal of soe sort, they've got just about everything you could ever want, and the guys behind the counter have tools to measure a bolt in ways you didn't think possible. There's one here in Ashland, so there's got to be one in Columbus.

Yea, I took the OEM bolt with me to get it matched. I usally go to a ma and pa shop in Newark to get any bolt or nut I need. The old man who owns the place is usally pretty good about matching things up. Never ever had a problem until now. So the name of the place is "Fastenal" then Nathan?

yeah. They usually suppily oddball fasteners to jobbers, butthey've got a retail store. I forget the name of the website, but tat place is awesome. They've got everything you could ever want to attach two things together.
websie is just www.fastenal.com

Back