• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise, ABS, and brake light problem

kkerem

NAXJA Forum User
Hi

I have a problem with my cherokee brake lights, abs and cruise control. Im not sure if the problems are related.

First brakelights don't work and cruise don't work. The switch seems do be ok, as much as I tested it. But now I need to know wath wire is wath. There are theree wires going thru that switch. Does anybody have color codes and schema (91 xj)?

Other problem is, that ABS don't work. If I press the pedal, the pump makes some noises, but ABS doesn't work. I tried also hard braking on ice.. Whak could be the problem?

Okay, first.. what year is it? '91 you said? Do you even know if you have ABS? My '96 doesn't have ABS. So, I'd say first 100% make sure you actually have ABS, cuz I know some people that think they do, but don't. On my old '96 Explorer, it had ABS and when you brake hard on ice (which I don't reccomend for testing your brakes) the ABS would make funny noises. These noises are the brakes pumping for you, instead of you pumping them, which is was ABS is. How do you know the ABS doesn't work? You just kind of have to get used to how your brakes are going to react on different surfaces. I always learned that "thresh hold" braking is the best kind of braking (where you just gradually push down, instead of stomping on them) <-- much better for your brakes too.

Anyway, cruise controls are bound to break. I am lucky and my cruise works. It's usually kind of expensive to fix if it is just broken. My dad's Bronco's cruise was broken and he never got it fix cuz it was just too much, so it wasn't worth it. I don't think there is much you can do to fix it unless something was just unplugged/shorted. About the brake lights... do you just need a new light? It could be shorted too.

Good luck!

Back