• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

temp light 1995 xj doesn't turn on

r6dallastx

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 1995 xj 4x4 i6, I fixed just about everything thanks to this board. I've fixed the tranny I've replaced solenoids, thanks to this board. I've fixed the NSS it was easy, and few other things that can't remember. This my 2nd post, I've been doing searches and have found just about all of the info that I've need, but i couldn't find this. The temp light doesn't come on when i turn on the truck. Should it come every time I turn the key. I let the truck run in my drive way for a long time and it had no signs of over heading. Also, my 4x4 light doesn't come on, should it come on when you turn on the truck. I jacked up the truck to take off one of the tires, I placed it in 4h so that front tire wouldn't spin and it did lock up so i think the 4x4 works. I'm not sure how thses 4x4 work. I just sold a 1990 4runner and its 4x4 was a bit different.

r6dallastx said:
I bought a 1995 xj 4x4 i6, I fixed just about everything thanks to this board. I've fixed the tranny I've replaced solenoids, thanks to this board. I've fixed the NSS it was easy, and few other things that can't remember. This my 2nd post, I've been doing searches and have found just about all of the info that I've need, but i couldn't find this. The temp light doesn't come on when i turn on the truck. Should it come every time I turn the key. I let the truck run in my drive way for a long time and it had no signs of over heading. Also, my 4x4 light doesn't come on, should it come on when you turn on the truck. I jacked up the truck to take off one of the tires, I placed it in 4h so that front tire wouldn't spin and it did lock up so i think the 4x4 works. I'm not sure how thses 4x4 work. I just sold a 1990 4runner and its 4x4 was a bit different.

1. Look for a full cluster and see what you need to change out (I think in the older years you might have to change a sensor out or two). Problem with the idiot lights is that by the time the temp light comes on it's ussually too late.

2. Make sure that the wire coming of the 4wd sensor on the tcase is still in one piece and that the linkage engages all the way: you might get the tcase kind of into 4wd where it will spin the (or lock) the tire but if you were to put it under load it might pop out. Also: do you have a 242 or 231? 242 will have by the lever 2H 4H 4F 4L and 231 will have 2H 4H 4L.

Back