• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB Position

Begster

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I have searched already, but I was just wondering, Has anyone mounted their CB radios in their dash? I just got a new CB. I previously had myne mounted on the side of my center console next to the shifter where many people have them.

But, my XJ is a '99, and I was wondering if anyone had placed their CBs in the dash with there radios. This is what my radio looks like, and I was wondering, since there is room above and below the current radio, If I make a new spacer and everything, and cut off some of the piece that removes to get into the radio, would this be plausible? Will I run into ventilation/overheating problems, or anything else. What should I make a new spacer out of?
679605_7_full.jpg

The new cb measures 7x6.5x2in.
Should I just put the new CB in the same spot as I had the old one?

there was a hread about mounting CB's about a month ago in the picture forum. I believe someone had done it. might want to search in there.

begster said:
But, my XJ is a '99, and I was wondering if anyone had placed their CBs in the dash with there radios. This is what my radio looks like, and I was wondering, since there is room above and below the current radio, If I make a new spacer and everything, and cut off some of the piece that removes to get into the radio, would this be plausible?

Maybe. The problem is that the XJ uses a DIN-and-a-half aperture for the radio, so pretty much the only way to get a CB (which is usually one DIN thick) in directly underneath the radio involves cutting both the spacer around the radio at the top and bottom as well as the part of the bezel between the radio and heater controls. Not saying it's not doable, but yes, ventilation may be a problem as well as RF bleedover (though why you'd want to use the stereo at the same time as the CB is beyond me ;) ). If you did this, you may also end up with neither the radio or the CB having enough support to hold themselves up properly.

What I did to get around this was to install a Cobra 75WX ST in the centre armrest. Photos detailing the installation can be found here; this has worked out very well for me over the last couple of years and might be a way around the problem for you.

In the 90' Laredo I just got the factory radio is gone and a Kenwood is just sitting in the hole w/some extra room. Unfortunately since I have electric seats and mirrors I cant mount a CB to the seat side and my mirror buttons are attached to the cup holder! Im pretty much stuck mounting on console side or going with a 75 or building an overhead console of some type.

Anyone ever make a new custom console for an xj? Would be good to extend it to the back seats. Reroute heat ducts to the side and have room for speakers on each side. (Gotta find room for my 6x9 Alpines) Dont think my amps gonna fit under the seat either.

go over to jeepforum and search for CB, theres a guy over there with a small uniden in his dash under his stereo. I think it looks goofy, but he did do a good job.

Remember if you do do this, you may need a extension speaker to hear your radio....

Hey that picture looks just like my xj. I have been thinking the exact same thing. I just havnt gotten around to it yet. My problem would be all of the wires and such that I have back there. I also have my xm radio and all of the wiring for that back there. I think it would fit but I'm worried about the two interfearing with each other.

casm said:
Maybe. The problem is that the XJ uses a DIN-and-a-half aperture for the radio, so pretty much the only way to get a CB (which is usually one DIN thick) in directly underneath the radio involves cutting both the spacer around the radio at the top and bottom as well as the part of the bezel between the radio and heater controls. Not saying it's not doable, but yes, ventilation may be a problem as well as RF bleedover (though why you'd want to use the stereo at the same time as the CB is beyond me ;) ). If you did this, you may also end up with neither the radio or the CB having enough support to hold themselves up properly.

What I did to get around this was to install a Cobra 75WX ST in the centre armrest. Photos detailing the installation can be found here; this has worked out very well for me over the last couple of years and might be a way around the problem for you.
Nice job on the cb installation
Ware did you put the CB antenna?

mrschendel said:
Nice job on the cb installation
Ware did you put the CB antenna?

Thanks. The antenna runs from the centre console up under the dash, then down into the driver's side kick panel. From there it's under the door sill moulding all the way back to the grommet behind the driver's side tail light; exiting there, it goes out to a custom mount that was made by someone on the forum. A picture giving an idea of how it ends can be found here - look above the light and you'll see the spring fastened down to the mount.

Unfortunately, he no longer makes them - which kinda sucks, since I'd really like to get one for the passenger side to mount a ham antenna on.

casm said:
Thanks. The antenna runs from the centre console up under the dash, then down into the driver's side kick panel. From there it's under the door sill moulding all the way back to the grommet behind the driver's side tail light; exiting there, it goes out to a custom mount that was made by someone on the forum. A picture giving an idea of how it ends can be found here - look above the light and you'll see the spring fastened down to the mount.

Unfortunately, he no longer makes them - which kinda sucks, since I'd really like to get one for the passenger side to mount a ham antenna on.
Thanks
Nice looking XJ

WobblesXJ said:

Ya I searched first before I asked, and found this thread, but I wanted to know if anyone had actually put theres in their dash, below there radio.

Doesn't matter now, I just mounted it back up to the side of the center console like before, and for the antenna I gave in and drilled my hatch, and I'm actually really happy with it. also rapped it in heat shrink rap, and it does great.

Yeah yeah, this is an old thread, but I just ran across it. Here's the pic of mine in the dash:
Picture%20002.jpg

It showed up as a BMW rim for a while, I overwrote the pic on my webspace with it. Whoops.

But yeah, it was pretty easy to do, I can hear it just fine on the trails. It is a little hard to hear with the windows down while cruising, but it works. And as the one guy was saying about RF bleedover, I do get some. Kinda sucks, just gotta have the radio off while talking on it, or you can hear yourself talking through the speakers.

Back