• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Working out some bugs on the new lift

tompatjr

NAXJA Forum User
I went for a drive in the newly lifted XJ today, 6.5 RK LA lift, to see how it worked/flexed. It flexes really well. So good in fact that the shocks chrome rod just touch the frame under full drop. I have my own idea about what to do, but I'd like to know what has been done before.

Also my stock steering touches the pass side sway bar bracket quick disconnect bolt with the ball joint on the steering when stuffed. Other than new steering is there a way to stop this, other than the obvious don't flex.

I have the same kit too. Still fine tuning it. I'd like to know what size tires you have and did u add any bump stops?

I noticed that my shock chrome rod does touch my frame too. I haven't seen the steering touch the sway bar bracket quick disconnect yet. I haven't flexed the passenger side yet.

limit straps!
thats what i had to do....
i don't have the ABS wire anymore also, and switched to 5150's
the piston is touching the frame, once the spring becomes unseated, anymore drop is useless, so get a long enough strap that stops the spring about an inch or so after it unseats.
TnTlongamrs007.jpg

Last edited:
tompatjr said:
So no one has had this problem! I have seen many jeeps with the shock body inverted I'd have major issues if I attemped that.

When you ask a question on sunday afternoon, you shouldnt expect a quick response. People are wheeling, wrenching, recovering, bbqing, playing with the kids, relaxing.. give it at least a full 24-36 hours before worrying.

cal said:
When you ask a question on sunday afternoon, you shouldnt expect a quick response. People are wheeling, wrenching, recovering, bbqing, playing with the kids, relaxing.. give it at least a full 24-36 hours before worrying.

I was just bringing it back to the top, on monday. Maybe a little to soon, but it's a strait forward question, I figured it would get a simple answer.

mack said:
once the spring becomes unseated, anymore drop is useless.

Explain? I can under stand for high speed and jumping, but for crawling I would think any traction is better than none. As long as the coil doesn't fall out.

tompatjr said:
Explain? I can under stand for high speed and jumping, but for crawling I would think any traction is better than none. As long as the coil doesn't fall out.
If the coil becomes unseated, there's no (negligible might be more accurate) weight on it, and thus no (negligible, again) traction. A limit strap keeps weight on a tire, thus maintaining traction. At least, that's my understanding of it. But if I'm wrong, don't hesitate to correct me.

I would think there is still some traction, but not as much. It depends on where the forces are directing. Like for example, it could be side wall force that could have been transferred from the other side of the axle... Something a physics class could make a clearer picture of it :)

The only reason I want limiting straps is to prevent damage to my shocks since I don't want it binding on the frame when it droops.

Back