• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harmonic Balancer Replacement

jwalkman

NAXJA Forum User
Last week I found my harmonic balancer had a wobble and it appeared that it was "walking" toward the engine in my '86 XJ 2.8L, so I bought a balancer and a coupe of days later I decided to install it. Once I took the pulleys off the balancer I noticed that the balancer on the crank had a 4 bolt pattern to secure the pulley to the balancer and the replacement was only a 3 bolt design. Before I returned the part I looked at all of the auto part sites and they all showed the 3 bolt design was the correct replacement. The balancer on the engine now looks like a standard 2.8L found on an S10. The engine is a Jasper rebuilt so it could have been switched at the engine swap, but Jasper generally does not provide a balancer with a replacement engine. The timing has been an issue also, I have the timing set at about 24 degreee BTDC and it runs fine with no pinging although this is about 12 degrees above factory settings. So, is the "Chevy" type balancer on the engine the correct one, and the balancer weight has shifted and is showing the incorrect timing setting, or is this the wrong dampener and the 3 bolt pattern is the correct one? Either way I have to find a balancer to fit my engine and it has to have a pulley for 3 V belts.

I appreciate any advice, thanks.

Rockauto.com shows a four bolter and a 3 bolter

here is the four bolter

102062.gif

Yep, it sure is. I guess I have searched every site, except Rock Auto. IT is strange that no one shows the 4 bolt replacement but them. But then again everything on this Jeep seems strange. Thanks for the advice.

Thats what you get when you get All Makes Combined.. I like rockauto they are great... hope they can get you one fast

Hey they have a cool site, and a good selection of parts. I may have lucked out on the balancer. There is a $10 rebate offered on the part, so it will be a great price also. I submitted the ATP part # at Advance Auto and it showed a Transmission Prod. H Balancer, but it not list an application, but anyway Rock Auto will be cheaper. The picture on their site is not exactly like the balancer I have but chances are it will work. Thanks again for the advice, maybe there is still hope for my old XJ.

jwalkman

Back