• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Problems

Josh

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone. I have a problem. My manual 5sp Peugot tranny just went out on my 88 XJ 4.0L w/ 182K. Naturally, one would just say get a new tranny. Number one, I don't know which tranny to get because from what I understand, I do not want another Peugot. The other delima is the fact that I soon plan to convert my XJ into a '96 High Output model from a wrecked one. Since the '96 I want to get is an auto, and I want a manual, I will be changig tranny's eventually. I am currently financially unable to begin the swap process. This means I need to either: A. buy a tranny to fit my '88, but from what I understand won't fit the '96, which will then be basically wasted because I won't be using the 88 anymore. Or, park the thing and try to come up with another rig to drive around(which means buying one) and slowly start the swapping process.
I guess my first question is, does anyone know of a manual tranny that will bolt to my 88 4.0 as well as a 96 H.O. 4.0? Is there any type of adapter I can buy to make this work. I think I would like to utilize an AX-15. Thanks in advance for everyone's help in figuring out what to do.
-Josh

The AX-15 will do it for you. That was the 5-speed used in 1996, and I know for a fact it will bolt up to an '88 because the '88 MJ I bought has a YJ AX-15 in it.

Eagle,

Are you sure about this? The AX-15 I am looking at on eBay from Pheonix Reman. Transmissions says it only fits 1990-2001. Will this tranny fit an 88 and a 96 H.O.?! That would be fantastic!!

They are showing a listing based on what years the factory offered it -- except that factory dropped it in 1999 and started using the NVG 3550 in 2000.

Yes, I am certain -- the kid swapped in the tranny and the transfer case -- I have a butchered floor, a very tall YJ tranny shift lever, and a chopped off YJ transfer case shift lever to prove it.

That's great! Will I be able to keep my NP 231? Do you know what t-case the 96 has? Thanks a lot!

Back