• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loud knocking in 1st and 2nd gear, and while making hard turns.

435Mj

NAXJA Forum User
i replaced my front axel u-joints about a year ago and i just replaced my rear driveshaft u-joints.(thought the knocking was from bad rear u-joints..it wasnt) i also replaced the trans mount about a year ago as well. could this noise be from bad front driveshaft u-joints? if not, what or other possibilitys? thanks tim

is it in 4wd when you are doing this??? mine does the same thing in 4wd, and appearantly it is normal on pavement for this to happen...

radardog said:
is it in 4wd when you are doing this??? mine does the same thing in 4wd, and appearantly it is normal on pavement for this to happen...

nope, its in 2 hi and its durning normal driving...wtf! lol

Okay,

What T-case is in your Jeep? The front drive shaft on the full time T-case turns all the time.

Knocking in a turn though... could be a Ball Joint or Tire rod end.

oh it could be the track bar too. my dad suggested that to me a wile back and lo-and-behold the rod end on the track bar was blown out...

w_howey said:
Okay,

What T-case is in your Jeep? The front drive shaft on the full time T-case turns all the time.

Knocking in a turn though... could be a Ball Joint or Tire rod end.

i have the NP 231. and my XJ is a 1993 manual trans with the 4.0 i6

anything else? Im waiting on u-joints for the front i'll report back when thats done and let you know how things went.

Take a look at the motor mounts. Hi torque multiplication of 1st & 2nd Gear could cause bad motor mounts to let the engine rock to much and clunk. As well, if the motor mounts are squished down flat, the angle of the motor will change and change the driveline angles slightly. Its at least worth a look and see if the mounts are squished flat.

Rick Anderson said:
Take a look at the motor mounts. Hi torque multiplication of 1st & 2nd Gear could cause bad motor mounts to let the engine rock to much and clunk. As well, if the motor mounts are squished down flat, the angle of the motor will change and change the driveline angles slightly. Its at least worth a look and see if the mounts are squished flat.

the motor mounts seem to be ok. i took off the front DS to see if the noise still happened while driving around. it didn't make a clunk or binding noise at all. but after driving it XJ for a bit i heard a new noise at about the same time i heard the knocking or binding before. this time the noise sounded more like then you don't shift into gear all the way kinda like "errrrrr" sorry if that sounds dumb but i don't know how else to describe it. also the nise happens after you let the clutch out in frist and second gear.(both the clunk and the "errr" noise) could that noise be the clutch slipping or something?

P.S this also happens going stright

Last edited:
Back