• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flat towing question

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
In order to flat tow my 95 XJ I need to leave the key on to keep the steering wheel unlocked. Do you disconnect the battery so ignition is not on all the time while towing?

Doesn't yours have an OFF position before the LOCK position? Mine does.

I bought my totaled 96 sport with front end damage (no damage past the radiator fan) and towed it, with a tow bar, behind my F150 over 800 miles from Albuquerque to Austin. E brake off, TC in neutral, manual in gear (3rd) and unlocked the steering wheel leaving the key in place. Bought towing lights from Harbor Freight for $24 along with an adapter that hooked into my truck's wiring on my hitch. Drove the speed limit and allowed ample room for slowing down. Nothing overheated on my jeep whatsoever as I handchecked TC and Diffs at each stop. Only mistake...tried driving through a fast food curbed driveway before I realized that when flat towing, as soon as you begin your turn, your towed vehicle begins its turn as well. My jeep had jumped the curb and was in the shrubs before I knew it. Had to unhitch and push it to where I could reattach. And boy did I feel like a goober. But now I am a goober driving a great 4x4 after rebuilding the front end myself. The XJ is one of the few DIY vehicles left in this planned obscilescent (sp?) world and I am grateful. Thanks to every contributor in this forum for you have been a light in the darkness for me. Virtually every question I have had has been amply answered by one or more of you jeepsters and I thank each and every one of you. Stay safe, stay smart and stay off the road.

No need to feel like a goober. That's an easy mistake to make, and I've done the same thing myself.

Worse, yet, I've done it even when I was old enough to know better.

Back