• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help On Axles

BBeach

NAXJA Forum User
My axle seal on my front driver side (Dana 30) has been leaking gear oil on my driveway for a few weeks now. I just recently had my ball joints done and i hope they didn't mess anything up on me. But to replace the seal it would involve a lot of work and i was wondering while i am at it should i do anything else such as put in new gears like 4.56 or even a locker/LSD?? Im not sure on how everything goes together that much but if it's all gonna be ripped apart should i just get the other stuff done too? I have a basically stock cherokee but i do like the idea of LSD and lower gears for some more speed. :explosion

Just trying to see what my options are before I go and spend some money.

depends on the $$ you want to spend.

if you are going to pull everything out to replace the axle seal you're there. but if you don't want to spend the money, you could replace the axle seal and you'd have taken everything apart so when its time for gears and such it will be easier to get everything apart...

mac 'all about the beganmins' gyvr

Last edited:
its not hard at all to do, go to www.madxj.com and go to technical there is a good write up replacing the axle seals.

the hardest part will be if the axle has never been taken apart before...but if they replaced ball joints, stuff (ie hubs, etc) should come apart pretty easily...

mac 'hate working on stuff with over 100k that's never been worked on' gyvr

Did you have a shop replace the ball joints? If so and the leak started after they did the work, then they should replace your axle seals. Unless of course you don't want them working on it again. But the seals should be on them. If you are gonna change gears you have to do the rear also. Money starts adding up quick.

how are replacing ball joints going to affect the axle seals?

have to pull the axle shafts to get the ball joints out. if they did something screwy when they pulled them or when they reinstalled them they could've screwed up the axle seals....anything is possible with a shop...

that's why i prefer to do my own work, so i know what i screw up...

mac 'too much junk' gyvr

Keep in mind, the seal may have just been folded over when they put the shaft back in.
I've done that a couple of times and just took the axle back out and reinstalled it more carefully and the leak stopped.
Be sure to twist on the axle when putting it back in the diff and it will help keep the shaft from grabbing the lip of the seal.
Try this before you go through the hassle of replacing the seals.

My MJ appears to have a couple of leaky seals in the front. So my question is this, if I keep an eye on the gear oil level, would it be safe to drive it in this condition for a while? While I know that it's definetly not an ideal situation, will it lead to any permanent damage?

Also, I'm planning on going to Tillamook state forest on the 10th with some of the folks from here, is this a bad idea? I can cancel if need be, but it'd be a real bummer!

Thanks ,

Pat

Phager said:
My MJ appears to have a couple of leaky seals in the front. So my question is this, if I keep an eye on the gear oil level, would it be safe to drive it in this condition for a while? While I know that it's definetly not an ideal situation, will it lead to any permanent damage?

Also, I'm planning on going to Tillamook state forest on the 10th with some of the folks from here, is this a bad idea? I can cancel if need be, but it'd be a real bummer!

Thanks ,

Pat

If you keep an eye on the fluid level it its not that big of a deal and will not lead to anything bad. However, I must say that if the leak is bad you may ruin traction for other vehicles on the trail( try making it up a slick rockface when the guy before you had a leaky front pinion and greased everything up for you). Stay out of the water, we don't want you flushing all of that gear oil into a local stream, and you're good to go.

Good point, I didn't even think about the effects it'd have on everyone else. I guess it'd probably be smarter to put the money I'd spend on gas to get up there on a couple of new seals and the stuff to pull them with.

Thanks for the help.

Pat

Back