• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ANOTHER GAUGE SENSOR QUESTION

vette75406

NAXJA Forum User
Hello , i'm the new guy , I am swapping a 89 gauge cluster with tach into my 84 that also has guages , my current temp sensor has two wires while the 89 has just one , does anybody know if my 84 gauge sensor has the correct resistance to operate the 89 cluster correctly, I'm swapping because my current temp gauge is inop and a new sensor did not fix it and I happen to have a 89 cluster as well to replace it. I am aware that I will also have to change the speedo cable from seaching the forum . If I have to rewire to the later sensor which wire do I splice into? Thanks for the help

no, you need the sensors from the donor jeep or you need to go and get the sensor for the same year as the guages.
Dummy lights have a coolant temperature switch.
Gauges have coolant temperature senders.

my current cluster has guages not lights just upgrading to the later model to get a new style and working temp gauge ,thanks for the reply

I think you just identified why your gauge doesn't work. My '84 temp sensor had one wire, and my '86s have one wire. It sounds like someone installed a 91+ sensor in your '84 Cherokee. Where do the two wires go?

Try just swapping the temp sender with the existing gauge cluster and see what happens.

Back